RE: Antwort: RE: Semantic web article in Nature Biotechnology

One thing we have to remember is that biologists are building ontologies to
do a job of work. they are not produced as some end of CS or SW research.
the annotation of biological data with terms from the gene ontology, for
instance, has done much for computational analysis of data -- and it is not
using sW technology.

We can't just expect people, whose priorities are not those of the SW, to
simply use this technology because we say it is good. It is up to us to
demonstrate its utility. Such demonstration should be done in collaboration
with biologists -- only in this way can we ensure sensbile biology is done
and SW technologies are used appropriately. RDF and OWL are not easy
technologies and we ask a great deal of people when we expect strict
esemantics to be used in a complex domain.

A few pointers to things and events in SW and bio:
* A paper at November's ISWC by K Wolstencroft et al on the use of OWL
ontologies and reasoners etc to classify proteins
* the OWL experiences and directions workshop following ISWC will have some
contributions from biologists
* there is a  track at this year's PSB on "semantic webs for life
sciences"  http://psb.stanford.edu/ and this will feature BioDash:
http://www.w3.org/2005/04/swls/BioDash/Demo/
* A special issue of the Journal of Web Semantics  on life sciences --
deadline 15 Nov.
* bioPAX, as mentioned by Phil, is well workth a look -- www.biopax.org and
several contributing databases have data in RDF (and the Uniprot data in
RDF has been much featured on this list)

Again, as Phil mentions, the OBO format is essentially compatible  with OWL
semantics and  converters are available. there is, for instance, a Protege
plugin and we have one under development here in Manchester. One of the
rules of OBO is that their ontologies should be orthogonal. If they are
not, then perhaps this is a sign that such a goal is difficult and that we
should use our tools and techniques to resolve the problem. Finally, if we
want nice modular, SW technology ontologies then perhaps we should produce
usable tools and techniques for delivering them. Modularisationof OWL
ontologies is still a hot topic. I note in your latest email "because I am
still chewing on some problems." -- so it is not a surprise bio people are
not doing it as a priority for their work?

I think the point of imports and modularisattion etc. are  mtherhood and
apple pie, but until the technologies and methodologies (how do I fragment
my ontology appropriatly for any possible re-use?) are in place and
yield  tangible benefits for ontology developers then it will not be done.
What bene fit do I, as an ontology developer, get from spending a lot of
precious development time making my ontology re-usable. Obbiously  I know
the answers, but we need to make it cheap for people to do such nice
engineering solutions.

Robert.

Robert.