RE: Uniprot RDF in RDF Gateway

Hi Eric,

First, thanks for making the data available - it's a great resource (as both
a large source of high-quality rdf and presumably as a life-science resource
- though I can't really speak to the latter :-)

Well, there's no doubt that we're benefiting from caches for the example
queries (both the Gateway page cache, and the OS disk cache). If I restart
the Gateway application/server, the queries run as quickly so I suspect the
disk cache is providing the greatest benefit). That said, no cache would
make up for a lack of efficient indices on such a large database. The box
the queries are running in has 4GB of ram and the database is 27GB (of used
space), so random queries are bound to go outside of any cache - sooner or
later some query response times will be somewhat limited by the speed of the
disk.

> Is there a web page where I can enter my own queries?

Not yet. I'm planning to add a sparql interface and will probably throw up
something that lets you query with our native query language (since it's
more expressive than sparql). I've also done a bit of work on an
ontology-driven search/browse interface for it which I'll likely complete at
some point. I'll keep you posted.

-Geoff