Re: [BioPAX-discuss] LSID Best practices...

EJ>Gary Bader wrote:
GB>> Is there any standard way of resolving LSIDs that are
GB>> used in this way?

EJ>If you are asking how to actually retrieve the data for an LSID, from
the
EJ>resolution service point of view, then no, I don't think there is any
EJ>standard way. This is probably one of reasons some people favor the use
of
EJ>URLs as identifiers. I wouldn't go so far, but this is a problem, as
this
EJ>means that your software needs to be "life-science-aware".

Unless I have completely misunderstood Gary's orginal question as stated
above, I disagree. There is a standard [1] for dereferencing any LSID and
retrieving its associated data and metadata documents. This is part of the
 OMG LSID specification and has been implemented in a number client/server
language stacks. My own team implemented [2] this standard when creating
fully client/server protocol stacks for perl, java and a Windows COM
client.

In general any LSID name is mapped by the data provider down to a
collection of ftp/http URLs or web services that the client stack may
discover and use to retrieve the associated information. This means the
data bytes for the same object may simultaneously be made available from
more than once place (hmm..perhaps we should now add bit torrent like
support to the client software to take advantage of this) as can metadata
documents. In the case of metadata documents this feature of the protocol
is useful since it means that metadata information from 3rd parties can be
incorporated along with that provided by the data provider and seamlessly
integrated by the clients for a user.

Kindest regards, Sean

[1] http://www.omg.org/docs/dtc/04-05-01.pdf
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/lsid/