Re: Draft rNews 1.0 OWL Ontology: Feedback Requested [via Semantic News]

Stuart,

thanks.

I *think* there is an issue with some of the patterns you use. Consider the following:

<http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#encodingFormat>
   rdfs:domain <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#AudioObject>,
               <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#ImageObject> ,
               <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#VideoObject> ;
 .

(I have removed the other statement on encoding format).

Let us suppose we have

<http://www.example.org/o> iptc:encodingFormat "Something" .

An OWL reasoner will use the OWL ontology *as a license to infer* (_not_ to control the validity of the data). It will therefore infer the following three triples:

<http://www.example.org/o> rdf:type <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#AudioObject> .
<http://www.example.org/o> rdf:type <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#ImageObject> .
<http://www.example.org/o> rdf:type <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#VideoObject> .

All these inferences are absolutely valid. I have the impression that is not what you expect...

I presume what you wanted to say is that a subject to the encodingFormat property is expected to be an audio object *or* an image object *or* a video object, but not all of these. In which case what you have to use (and I realize this is more convoluted):

<http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#encodingFormat>
  rdfs:domain [ a owl:Class;
                owl:unionOf (
                   <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#AudioObject>
                   <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#ImageObject>
                   <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#VideoObject>
                )
              ] .

In this case the OWL reasoner will infer, well, what was described in an English sentence. You may even want use:

<http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#encodingFormat>
  rdfs:domain [ a owl:Class;
                owl:disjointUnionOf (
                   <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#AudioObject>
                   <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#ImageObject>
                   <http://iptc.org/std/rnews/2011-10-07#VideoObject>
                )
              ] .

which reinforces the fact that and audio object is not a video object (if this is also an additional feature you want to emphasize).

I hope this helps

Cheers

Ivan

On May 15, 2012, at 19:00 , Stuart Myles wrote:

> We've created an IPTC rNews 1.0 ontology file in OWL. It is available at
> http://dev.iptc.org/files/rNews/rnews_1.0_draft1.owl This is just a draft, but
> we'd like to get feedback from the experts on any improvements we can make,
> whether it is in syntax, structure, documentation or any other aspect. So, let
> us know what you think! Regards, Stuart

> This post sent on Semantic News
>

> 'Draft rNews 1.0 OWL Ontology: Feedback Requested'
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/semnews/2012/05/15/draft-rnews-1-0-owl-ontology-feedback-requested/
>

> Learn more about the Semantic News:
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/semnews

----