Re: Draft of security disclosure best practices

Rich,

There's obviously scope for debate about the best approach in any given
case, and you make an eloquent argument for one approach.

However, I think what is being said here is that *for the case where a
security researcher choose the "responsible disclosure" path:*
(1) It it better that companies have policies about this, rather than no
policies, and
(2) We can write guidelines that can help companies improve those policies

I actually don't think the W3C should step into the debate over whether
"full disclosure" or "responsible disclosure" (for want of better terms) is
"more responsible" - or at least not as part of this activity - not least
because there is a case by case judgement to be made and I agree with your
assertion that the security researchers in question are best placed to make
that judgement.

Perhaps the proposed guidelines should be clearer on that point ?

...Mark