Re: Draft of security disclosure best practices

On 2/28/2017 1:58 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> Conclusions:
>
> The best disclosure is full disclosure.  Assume that worthy adversaries
> already know all the details (or will know VERY soon) and that those
> with sufficient resources and motivation have already acted (or will
> act VERY soon).  This accurately reflects contemporary reality.

I don't think the draft is disagreeing with this statement. It proposes
a time period "(usually not to exceed 90 days)" before full disclosure
can be published, attempting to find a balance between existing
regulations and researchers needs.

> The best move for the W3C, the thing that best serves the needs of
> the billions of Internet users out there, is to drop this proposal:
> "responsible disclosure" isn't responsible.

It is actually meant as a coordinated disclosure template. It doesn't
use the term "responsible disclosure" and doesn't attempt to push to
shift responsibilities around.

Philippe