Re: [presentation-api] Check on Presentation display availability in getAvailability can never be true

From: François Daoust via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 11:36:13 +0000
To: public-secondscreen@w3.org
Well, the step 7 I was looking at is now step 6: "If the presentation
display availability for presentationRequest is not null, then:
[...]".

The problem boils down to whether the user agent can reset the
_presentation availability promise_ at some point in time, as I
alluded to in a comment on PR #390:
https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/pull/390#issuecomment-264830700

If it cannot (which is how I read the current algorithm), then the
promise will be set in any further call to `getAvailability`. That
means any further call will stop at step 2, and so step 6. is useless.

Now, if the user agent can garbage collect the _presentation
availability promise_ once it is settled and/or no longer referenced,
then step 6. remains useful!

That step would also be useful if `start` can set the _presentation
display availability_, as envisioned in PR #390.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by tidoust
Please view or discuss this issue at