Proper sources for cross-references?

From: mark a. foltz <mfoltz@google.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:27:03 -0700
To: "public-secondscreen@w3.org" <public-secondscreen@w3.org>
Cc: "Kostiainen, Anssi" <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>, "Rottsches, Dominik" <dominik.rottsches@intel.com>
The current cross reference database seems to use "bleeding edge"
references for things like DOM [1] and WebIDL [2] hosted on GitHub.  This
introduces a bit of complexity when editing the spec because some of the
definitions for things like DOMException have moved from DOM to WebIDL in
the bleeding edge versions, but not the published versions.   And the cross
reference for the DOMException definition [3] seems to have gotten stale.

Questions:

(1) Should we be cross referencing bleeding edge or published versions of
specs?
(2) If the answer to (1) is "bleeding edge", should we fix up the cross
references list (or, better, adopt or sync with one that someone else
maintains)?

[1] https://dom.spec.whatwg.org/
[2] http://heycam.github.io/webidl/
[3] https://dom.spec.whatwg.org/#domexception