[admin] Re: Issue priorities

[-webscreens]

Hi Mark, All,

> On 22 Nov 2014, at 00:44, mark a. foltz <mfoltz@google.com> wrote:
>
> Prioritization is a good idea as the number of issues has grown.  Here are my opinions on some of the open issues.  My focus is on issues whose resolution would impact and assist implementations in progress.  The P1 issues have a potentially wider impact on the API as well as the implementation.
>
> I welcome feedback on this categorization.

I sync'd with Dominik re the issues and he suggested the unspecified sections and open issues noted in the Editor's Draft should be P1 issues to have a solid foundation before adding new features. To get started we have the following on our plate:

  https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/labels/P1

Dominik indicated these would be issues he'd take on next -- contributions welcome.

For new features (i.e. features not in the spec that was transitioned) we can use the "enhancement" label as Francois already did for his nicely crafted proposal #32. I put #26 in this bucket too. We have at least:

  https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/labels/enhancement

Think "enhancements" as things that might go into the develop branch first, before being integrated into master (or gh-pages in our case). Forks can be used to incubate these ideas, and merged when matured.

> P1
> Allow page to designate a default presentation URL -
> https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/issues/26

This reads to me as an "enhancement".

> Specify behavior when multiple controlling pages are connected to the session -
> https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/issues/19

This was noted in the spec as an open issues, but I'd label this as P2, since I believe we'd like to make the API work for multiple screen attachment methods we enumerated in the charter first, before embarking on the advanced use cases that build upon that foundation.

> P2
> Define return value for cancelled/missing session for startSession/joinSession -
> https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/issues/20
>
> Specify data types and API for messaging channel -
> https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/issues/16
>
> Finalize specification for reconnecting to existing presentations -
> https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/issues/15
>
> Define reconnection for cross-page navigation on presenting user agent -
> https://github.com/w3c/presentation-api/issues/18

Dominik proposed we leave the rest without labels for the time being, and revisit after P1s have been addressed.

Given the transition from the CG to WG has been successfully completed I'd expect the work in this Working Group to kick off after the holiday season. To that end, I'd wish everyone happy holidays. Let's make 2015 the year of Second Screen on the Web :-)

Btw. I'm just back from my paternity leave, so pardon me for late responses to mails.

Thanks,

-Anssi