Re: Multiple controlling pages (Was: Re: Allow page to designate itself as presentation session)

I agree that having unicast communication to multiple controlling pages is
preferable, and the subsequent proposals on how to do this are reasonable.

For many playback apps, it turns out that you normally want all controlling
pages to be in sync anyways (i.e. most changes in state of the presentation
document are of global interest).

I actually thought about the poker case, before I trimmed it to create a
shorter reply, but if we did want broadcast-only semantics, you can still
implement poker by passing a random key from the controlling page when it
connects.

As a final note, one note to pass along as we discuss channel-related
messaging is that managing connection state can actually be surprisingly
complex.  Specifically, especially for long-running sessions, devices may
go through sleep/suspend/wake cycles that can result in transport-level
connection and disconnection.  Sometimes a device goes away because it
walked out of the house, other times it goes away because platforms like
iOS kill background connections when you switch apps.  The less we think it
necessary to expose specific state about each connected controlling page,
the easier things may be.

Mark.