From: Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>
Sent: Monday, 5 November 2018 6:22 PM
To: public-sdwig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Area of spatial objects

Hi Nick,

I wonder: Doesn't the fact that multiple areas for a single spatial thing are published mean that the areas are calculated from different geometric representations of that spatial thing? That would logically make the area a property of a geometry. Besides, the geometry instance could be used to link to the CRS (e.g. Albers), ideally by URI.

CRS data linked to a geometry could also give access to the basic unit of the CRS (e.g. meter) and through that provide information on the units of properties derived from the geometry (like the area), but that would demand a fair amount of reasoning on the part of the data consumer.

Regards,

Frans