W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdwig@w3.org > March 2018

[Minutes] Spatial Data on the Web IG Plenary call - 2018-03-14

From: Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 22:16:44 +0100
To: <public-sdwig@w3.org>
Message-ID: <26ca01d3bbd9$c4b0ba10$4e122e30$@w3.org>
Hi all,

The minutes of today's plenary call are available at:
https://www.w3.org/2018/03/14-sdw-minutes.html
... and copied as raw text below.

In the funnel, we agreed to move WebVMT from Exploration to Investigation, and to label the Linked Building Data issue with a "geospatial" tag.

Thanks,
Francois.

-----
Spatial Data on the Web Interest Group Call
14 March 2018

   [2]Agenda [3]IRC log

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Mar/0008.html
      [3] https://www.w3.org/2018/03/14-sdw-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Bill Roberts, Chris Little, Francois Daoust, Jeremy
          Tandy, Linda van den Brink, Michael Gordon, Rob Smith

   Regrets
          Andrea Perego, Hugo Ledoux, Joseph Abhayaratna, Peter
          Rushforth, Scott Simmons

   Chair
          Jeremy, Linda

   Scribe
          Francois

Contents

     * [4]Meeting Minutes
         1. [5]Quick intro to the Strategy funnel
         2. [6]Status review of Geospatial work items in the
            Strategy Funnel
         3. [7]New funnel candidates
         4. [8]Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices update
         5. [9]Stats on the Web BP update
         6. [10]SSN/SOSA ontology
         7. [11]Other updates
         8. [12]Date and time for the next plenary call
     * [13]Summary of Action Items
     * [14]Summary of Resolutions

Meeting Minutes

Quick intro to the Strategy funnel

   jtandy: Everybody here was at the F2F meeting so I don't think
   we need to do that.
   … There were a couple of actions that were outstanding
   … I'm guessing that we have the agreement from the W3C strategy
   group for us to use it this way

   tidoust: no disagreement to use the strategy funnel - we have
   the green light to proceed

Status review of Geospatial work items in the Strategy Funnel

   [15]Geospatial strategy funnel

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/strategy/projects/2?card_filter_query=label:geospatial

   jtandy: At the moment, we have 3 items on the Strategy Funnel.
   … I'm assuming anyone can post an update to the GitHub issues?

   tidoust: That's correct, no need to go through me!

   jtandy: Rob, want to take us through a WebVMT update?

   RobSmith: First, I joined the IG, thanks for the invitation!
   That's temporary, 6 months, while we figure things out.
   … I prepared an explanatory specification, using ReSpec, now
   posted to the GitHub repository with Francois's help.
   … That's the focal point to capture requirements.
   … I welcome any constructive feedback on that.

   [16]WebVMT Explainer

     [16] https://w3c.github.io/sdw/proposals/geotagging/webvmt/

   RobSmith: 3 parts to explain the thoughts behind it, some use
   cases and some examples of its syntax. It's a first draft, to
   be expanded.
   … I added a section with thoughts on future features that I'm
   thinking about.

   jtandy: I remember we mentioned getting more folks involved in
   your project. Go Pro and other camera makers were mentioned.
   Any progress?

   RobSmith: Firstly, thanks to Chris for suggesting points of
   contacts. I've been in touch with OGC group focused on drones.
   Don Sullivan(?), chair of the group, has invited me to give a
   presentation at the Orleans meeting, which I'll do remotely.
   … Tuesday morning should be when the meeting happens

   jtandy: Chris, can you act as Rob's proxy if needed?

   ChrisLittle: Not sure, a bit overloaded next week, Rob should
   be in the good hands of Don.

   brinkwoman: Name of the group?

   RobSmith: Unmanned Systems.

   brinkwoman: OK, maybe I'll be able to attend, not sure that
   will be possible.

   RobSmith: Also contacted Christine Perey. Waiting for a
   response.

   jtandy: Let us know if there are more introductions that you
   need and that we could help with.

   RobSmith: Also tried to get in touch with the BBC.

   tidoust: Happy to make introductions at BBC. Very active W3C
   members in media. Can put you in touch with Chris Needham,
   their AC rep.

   RobSmith: Thanks!
   … About the status of the issue in the funnel, I suspect it can
   move forward to "investigation"

   jtandy: I agree. Shall we have a little vote among ourselves?

   PROPOSED: Move WebVMT from Exploration to Investigation

   <ChrisLittle> +1

   <MichaelGordon> +1

   <tidoust> +1

   <RobSmith> +1

   <brinkwoman> +1

   <jtandy> +1

   Resolved: Move WebVMT from Exploration to Investigation

   jtandy: One of the things we agreed to do is to keep the OAB at
   OGC when we move stuff around in the funnel. Chris, could you
   do that?

   ChrisLittle: Sure!

   Action: Chris Little to ping OAB about WebVMT move from
   Exploration to Investigation in the funnel

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-386 - Little to ping oab about webvmt
   move from Exploration to investigation in the funnel [on Chris
   Little - due 2018-03-21].

   ChrisLittle: I had a quick look at the document. First thing
   that came to mind is that you have a simple timestamp. And at
   some point in the process, you're going to tie it to some real
   time, or to the camera time.
   … Calendars and Coordinate Reference System should be clear.
   … IETF RFC 3339 is the format for timestamps. That's what you
   see in most logs.
   … What you can't do, is take two numbers and substract them to
   get a duration. You may get one, but it may be wrong. Because
   of leap seconds.

   RobSmith: That seems beyond the scope of this work.

   ChrisLittle: But this should be specified.

   RobSmith: Right. The reason I say it is out of scope is that
   the timestamp in cues are relative to the start of the film.
   Taken from WebVTT.

   ChrisLittle: You may still want to explain in the document how
   that relates to other timestamps.

   RobSmith: Something else I've been looking at is Youtube
   integration. It's something I mentioned en passant. I think
   it's possible with the current tech.

   jtandy: I believe Google is a W3C Member

   tidoust: They sure are!
   … I can probably put you in touch with someone somewhat close
   to the Youtube team.

   RobSmith: Thanks!

   jtandy: OK, moving to MapML then
   … I just had a look in the funnel. Nothing there.
   … I guess that's a no update

   [17]Discussion on layers in MapML and MapML semantics

     [17] https://github.com/Maps4HTML/MapML/issues/10

   tidoust: Just to mention that I'm exchanging with Peter on a
   specific topic and more broadly on the semantics that MapML are
   trying to expose

   jtandy: Right, I recall that our concern is to understand how
   MapML is better than what we have today, so that we may sell
   it.

   RobSmith: I recall mentioning that the absence of use cases
   does not help. It might be worth pressing Peter on that.

   <jtandy> “Sell it” = convince people of the idea

   jtandy: OK, any other comment on MapML?
   … Moving to CityJSON then
   … Quick look at the funnel and no update either.

   tidoust: I had a talk with Hugo to crystalize what we said
   during the F2F.

   ChrisLittle: Just wondering whether Hugo will be at Orleans.
   OGC CityGML people are willing to discuss

   <brinkwoman> [18]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/
   public-sdwig/2018Mar/0037.html

     [18] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Mar/0037.html

   brinkwoman: I don't expect Hugo to be at Orleans. His boss will
   probably be there though. Hugo did send an email to the
   mailing-list a few days ago, see previous URL.

   brinkwoman: Hugo will start to find a core set of participants.
   He has some ideas there. Second thing is he'll continue to use
   the GitHub repository of CityJSON

   MichaelGordon: I had a good discussion with Carsten Roensdorf
   from OGC. CityGML folks are eager to engage and look at JSON
   encodings.
   … I think it'd be a case to encourage Hugo to engage in
   discussions back there.

   jtandy: Thank you for the update, Michael

   ChrisLittle: Tomorrow, there's an OGC EU innovation meeting at
   the Geovation center. Will report on Testbed 13 outcomes, with
   some parts that could be useful for Hugo.
   … Don't have a link now. I may manage to get there.

New funnel candidates

   jtandy: Chris, you identified a couple

   <MichaelGordon> [19]http://www.opengeospatial.org/EuropeT13demo

     [19] http://www.opengeospatial.org/EuropeT13demo

   ChrisLittle: Yes. Temporal ontologies, and CovJSON.
   … Didn't receive any feedback. First led me to find an error in
   the Time Ontology, now being processed as an erratum.

   jtandy: You can add those to Exploration in the funnel.

   ChrisLittle: Don't know how to do that yet, but will try.

   jtandy: Feel free to ping Francois if you need help

   [20]Linked Building Data

     [20] https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/94

   Francois: The Linked Building Data CG is looking at BIM.
   Already in the funnel but not with a Geospatial label yet.
   … They got in touch with me some time ago, I believe Maxime is
   active in the CG as well. Could be interesting to ask them to
   present in the IG.

   jtandy: Fine with me to put a Geospatial label to keep track of
   it!

   tidoust: OK, done!

   jtandy: Thinking about map accessibility too, who leads that?

   brinkwoman: Follows from discussion we had with Michael Cooper
   from accessibility team at TPAC with Francois.
   … Seems interesting, but no update.

   jtandy: If the person you're talking to is not pushing, then
   it's not urgent from his perspective.

   brinkwoman: And I was the one who raised it

   tidoust: I pinged Michael, no response so far. I was more
   thinking that this could be one angle to MapML in practice.

Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices update

   <MichaelGordon> [21]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/
   MichaelGordon-patch-2/bp/BP-in-practice.md

     [21] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/MichaelGordon-patch-2/bp/BP-in-practice.md

   MichaelGordon: Following the F2F, I started to compile a list
   of practices of our best practices
   … In addition, last week, OGC hosted a WFS 3 hackathon. We sent
   a bunch of people. Given the influence of best practices there,
   I'm anticipating being able to pull out some examples of usage.

   jtandy: Any help that you're expecting to need between now and
   next plenary call?

   <ChrisLittle> Also OGC Testbed-13 & Innovation Program Day
   tomorrow in London [22]https://www.eventbrite.com/e/
   ogc-testbed-13-innovation-program-day-tickets-43846638476

     [22] https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ogc-testbed-13-innovation-program-day-tickets-43846638476

   MichaelGordon: I don't think so. Looking at ways to further the
   list in the next BP call.

Stats on the Web BP update

   billroberts: Not much to report on this since Amersfoort.
   … Plan is to build on the point that Andrea Perego made to look
   into Data on the Web Best Practices and see how they would
   apply to Statistical data on the Web.
   … Expecting to discuss that in the next stats call.
   … Don't need any specific help from the group as a whole.

   [side discussion on the timing of the next stats on the Web
   call, in 2 weeks from now to avoid collision with OGC meeting
   in Orleans]

SSN/SOSA ontology

   jtandy: We don't have anyone on the call working on this. Simon
   sent a link to his proposed SSN Extensions spec.

   ChrisLittle: There is a lot of stuff going on GitHub.
   … Perhaps it's a symptom that the spec was published too early.

   tidoust: There's some truth in that, for sure. Most of the
   traffic is about minor typos in examples. I believe it's good
   to have examples in spec, although it's often hard to get them
   right. No big deal to list errata, and good thing to have
   people notice these typos, that proves the spec is being read!

Other updates

   RobSmith: I'm interested in moving objects. I suspect it will
   be related to WebVMT in some way.

   ChrisLittle: You could look at the OGC standard, which should
   be on the portal.
   … Very simple. Based on the idea that there is a trajectory.
   Objects are assumed to be solid. Therefore they can rotate.

   <MichaelGordon> [23]http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/
   movingfeatures

     [23] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/movingfeatures

   ChrisLittle: The reason it's simple is that Japanese want to
   apply it to millions of cars driving in Tokyo.
   … The other thing that they've done is a proposal to use the
   encoding of the abstract model in NetCDF

   jtandy: We're at the top of the hour. Any update to roadmap and
   next week's OGC meeting?

   brinkwoman: Nothing critical to report for the roadmap. Will
   report on the funnel next week.
   … Bill could maybe help me to give a presentation on the stats
   on the Web BP.

   billroberts: I have a bunch of slides on a random set of
   things, happy to share some.

   brinkwoman: Goal is to introduce the Stats on the Web BP
   activity

Date and time for the next plenary call

   jtandy: I propose we move the discussion to the mailing-list

   <MichaelGordon> +1

   <ChrisLittle> +1

   Action: Jeremy Tandy to figure out the date and time of the
   next plenary call

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-387 - Tandy to figure out the date
   and time of the next plenary call [on Jeremy Tandy - due
   2018-03-21].

   jtandy: OK, no time to look at the Technology Trends today, but
   it's on the agenda.

   RobSmith: If people going to Orleans can take a photo of the
   meeting, so that I can advertise the meeting on social media,
   that would be great. Just to say that "we're making progress".

   brinkwoman: Will do.

   jtandy: Thanks all, call is adjourned. We'll talk again in
   about a month.

Summary of Action Items

    1. [24]Chris Little to ping OAB about WebVMT move from
       Exploration to Investigation in the funnel
    2. [25]Jeremy Tandy to figure out the date and time of the
       next plenary call

Summary of Resolutions

    1. [26]Move WebVMT from Exploration to Investigation
Received on Wednesday, 14 March 2018 21:16:58 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 14 March 2018 21:16:58 UTC