W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdwig@w3.org > January 2018

[Minutes] Spatial Data on the Web IG Call - 2018-01-03

From: Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 10:05:02 +0100
To: <public-sdwig@w3.org>
Message-ID: <012c01d38604$48d50eb0$da7f2c10$@w3.org>
Hi,

The minutes of our first plenary call for 2018 on Wednesday this week are available at:
https://www.w3.org/2018/01/03-sdw-minutes.html

... and copied as raw text below. Note the current plan to hold a F2F on 19/20 February hosted by Geonovum. More details to come.

Thanks,
Francois.

--
Spatial Data on the Web IG call
03 January 2018

   [2]Agenda [3]IRC log

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2017Dec/0014.html
      [3] https://www.w3.org/2018/01/03-sdw-irc

Attendees

   Present
          billroberts, Francois_Daoust, George_Percivall, jtandy,
          Linda, Michael_Gordon, Peter_Rushforth, ScottSimmons

   Regrets

   Chair
          Jeremy, Linda

   Scribe
          billroberts

Contents

     * [4]Meeting Minutes
         1. [5]Tools and web pages for SDW-IG
         2. [6]Updates from each active workstream
         3. [7]Update from OGC TC meeting in Palmerston North
         4. [8]Face to face meetings schedule
     * [9]Summary of Action Items

Meeting Minutes

   Approve minutes of last meeting?

   <billroberts> +1

   <MichaelGordon> +1

   <jtandy> +1

   <brinkwoman> +1

   <tidoust> +1

   Minutes approved

Tools and web pages for SDW-IG

   <tidoust> [10]Issue #990 Updates to SDW IG home page

     [10] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/990

   Jeremy: took an action at last meeting to update the approach
   to the web page, so we were not always dependent on Francois to
   update it
   … considered using Jekyll and Markdown but concluded that
   because the requirements are so simple (just one page) there
   was not much extra benefit from using Jekyll
   … agendas and minutes get published to a permanent URL using
   existing tools, so the home page can just link to those

   Jeremy: For each individual project, we can use pages within
   the repository to share information

   <jtandy> [11]http://w3c.github.io/sdw/sdwig-homepage.html

     [11] http://w3c.github.io/sdw/sdwig-homepage.html

   Jeremy has created a new version of the home page in github,
   more or less identical to the original one that Francois
   created and added links to current versions of the main
   documents

   Jeremy: would a web page like this, plus mailing list for
   agendas, plus markdown pages in the repository meet our needs?

   <MichaelGordon> +1

   <billroberts> +1

   <jtandy> +1

   <ScottSimmons> +1

   <brinkwoman> I only looked for a minute, but +1 I think

   Francois is happy with it, and will let us know if any specific
   requirements from W3C arise at a later date (there are no
   specific ones at the moment)

   Jeremy: Francois, can you redirect the sdwig home page URL to
   the github pages?

   Action: Francois to add a redirect from w3.org to the GitHub
   page

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-379 - Add a redirect from w3.org to
   the github page [on François Daoust - due 2018-01-10].

Updates from each active workstream

2.1 REC track errata

   Francois: no work has been done but a couple of issues have
   been raised against the time ontology and no response to those
   yet
   … it would be good for Chris and/or Simon to consider those

   Jeremy: Chris is not yet back to work after the holidays
   … so let's ping people via the mailing list

   Francois will assign those issues to Chris and Simon

2.2 Statistical data on the web

   billroberts: Not much to report on Stats on the Web BP. Last
   call became a dial-in to the geosemantic session of NZ meeting.
   … We mostly advertized our work to OGC people
   … Apart from that, goal is to collect use cases and
   requirements.
   … I hope we'll have some new material to discuss for next call
   on January 10th.
   … Content with the progress for now.
   … We have an enthusiastic group.
   … I'll create milestones so that we can track progress.

2.3 SSN Primer

   Armin is not on the call today.

   no-one else is aware of progress

2.4 Describing moving objects

   Jano is due to lead this adn is not on the call

   no-one on the call knows about progress

2.5 Spatial data on the web BP

   MichaelGordon: we had a good call before Christmas and
   discussed the range of activities the group could do
   … most of the call was around how to encourage adoption of the
   BPs and how to evangelise about them

   <MichaelGordon> [12]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/
   bp/work-items-and-activities.md

     [12] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/bp/work-items-and-activities.md

   MichaelGordon: Following that meeting I had an action to write
   up the ideas on a github page (link above)
   … The next stage is to flesh out those headings and to put
   together a 'comms plan'
   … then pick one of the gaps in the best practices, already
   identified, based on feedback and demand

   Jeremy: has there been much feedback so far?

   MichaelGordon: not much yet, but seeing some adoption and
   references in the next WFS draft and Testbed 14

   MichaelGordon: so seeing early adopters in OGC and can reach
   out to them for some focused feedback
   … Some members of the group have already implemented some of
   the BPs and so can give feedback from that

   <MichaelGordon> WFS / FES

   ScottSimmons: SDWBP document was the motivation for the setting
   up of the OGC WFS/FES working group, developing the WFS3.0
   specficiation and also working with ISO TC211

   <brinkwoman> I'm really happy that we have had this impact

   Jtandy: that deserves a round of applause!

   <brinkwoman> we could talk to some early adopters of OGC at the
   next TC meeting

   <brinkwoman> organize a short session

   jtandy: yes that's a good idea

   jtandy: Michael could you please add a github issue to do as
   Linda suggests

   jtandy: I've been talking to Met Office colleagues about API
   patterns
   … and making them more aware of the SDWBP
   … which I hope will lead to some feedback for Michael's stream
   of work

   MichaelGordon: agree that examples and feedback will be a
   valuable addition to the BPs themselves
   … The next call is in 2 weeks and at that point we can
   structure these activities and agree who is leading on what

   jtandy: Suggest that, as with Bill's work, it would be good to
   define where the group should be in say 2 months from now
   … as we noticed in the previous working group that keeping up
   the tempo of work proved really important for getting
   engagement

2.6 QB4ST

   Rob Atkinson is leading that and not on the call. Anyone else
   knows anything?

   ...no

2.7 EO-QB

   jtandy: none of the editors of that have engaged with this
   group yet, so I'll take an action to talk to Kerry, Dimitri and
   Sam and see if they plan to do more on it

Update from OGC TC meeting in Palmerston North

   <ScottSimmons> 1. Revise OGC TC Policies and Procedures to
   include "authoritative" SDOs (other than just ISO) for
   submittal of standards to OGC; W3C is explicitly mentioned as a
   likely example.

   <ScottSimmons> 2. OpenAPI: at least two SWGs (WFS and WPS) are
   now using OpenAPI to define their next generation of standards.
   TC agreed not to mandate OpenAPI as the API definition method,
   but to recommend use of OpenAPI. Still issues with version 2
   vs. 3. OGC will need to develop some guidance and likely policy
   around use of API definition methods (at a minimum, align with
   the Modular Spec).

   <jtandy> OpenAPI ... Swagger as was

   jtandy: OpenAPI is developed by a 'de facto' standards
   organisation, a vendor-led group. Has OGC talked to this group?

   ScottSimmons: George Percival is on the call today and we have
   discussed this, including whether OGC should join the OpenAPI
   group
   … OpenAPI may not be as open as some groups
   … OGC has good experience with Swagger

   gperciva: They seemed quite open to discussions, but suggested
   OGC just joins as a fee-paying member rather than a
   collaboration of SDOs
   … may be worth discussing that again with them

   <ScottSimmons> 3. Agreed to merge Metadata and Catalog DWGs.
   The GeoDCAT subgroup will fall under this new DWG. Scope will
   initially be that of both charters, but a new charter needs to
   be created. Looking for chairs. Expect close cooperation from
   this DWG and perhaps a GeoDCAT Community standard.

   jtandy: is there an action for this group to help link W3C and
   OGC activities on DCAT/GeoDCAT?

   ScottSimmons: it is probably a bit early for that

   jtandy: Andrea Perrego could be a useful person to make that
   happen
   … can we put this on the agenda of the next OGC TC in Orleans ?

   <ScottSimmons> 4. Security DWG working more directly with W3C
   Web Security IG (Andreas Mattheus)

   <ScottSimmons> 5. New technology trends being evaluated: a.
   autonomous vehicles and autonomous navigation systems (emphasis
   on ground and marine); b. "just in time" analytics - delivering
   what can be delivered in the time allowed

   <ScottSimmons> 6. More interest in joint OGC-W3C pilot on
   Augmented Reality: [13]http://www.opengeospatial.org/pressroom/
   pressreleases/2697

     [13] http://www.opengeospatial.org/pressroom/pressreleases/2697

   <ScottSimmons> 7. Datacubes - is there a need for a new DWG?
   Consider CovJSON work and other webby efforts, not just
   traditional coverages

   <ScottSimmons> 8. Restarting Oblique Imagery DWG - emphasis
   will be on web service of imagery; likely will be renamed
   "Perspective Imagery"

   <ScottSimmons> 9. Statistical Data on the Web: definitely
   interest from OGC members, some continuing concern about trying
   to create a statistics DWG in the OGC as most members see
   "geostatistics" as being domain-driven. So maybe the larger
   discussions being led in W3C might be just fine.

   Peter Rushforth: are there compatibility issues when moving
   from existing services?

   ...the MappingML activity has been document focused

   ...APIs are not always consistent with the way that browsers
   work. Is there a document based approach already in
   consideration?

   ScottSimmons: the OpenAPI efforts are around making the
   services more 'RESTful'. These have built on the existing OGC
   standards
   … so relatively straightforward to adapt existing definitions
   to make them more developer friendly
   … There's nothing to stop us taking a document based approach
   where that seems the best way

   <gperciva> Useful to think about "document oriented maps" to
   motivate and charcterize MapML

   <gperciva> Use of the SSN Ontology and Jano’s work on Moving
   objects in the ESIP Drone community. Developing ontology for
   science data acquisition by airborne drones. Issues about
   provenance and data collection management. VOCamp session in
   November; Discussion at AGU in December; and ESIP Winter
   meeting next week: "Joint session between the Semantic Web
   cluster and Drone Cluster: Applying semantic tech to sUAS data”
   [14]http://sched.co/D6DQ

     [14] http://sched.co/D6DQ

   ESIP: Earth Science Information Partnership

   Next plenary call: will discuss dates on the mailing list

   <MichaelGordon> +1

   <ScottSimmons> +1

   <brinkwoman> ok

Face to face meetings schedule

   Jeremy, Scott, Francois and I have come up with two options:

   1)

   - One f2f in jan/feb, location tbd (I could host again at
   Geonovum, other offers welcome)

   - One at OGC TC 4-8 June at Fort Collins, Colorado

   - One at TPAC in Lyon in October.

   The advantage of this scenario is that not all f2f meetings are
   in Europe in this option. We add a meeting in Jan/Feb because
   otherwise we have to wait until June for our first f2f, which
   may slow our momentum.

   2)

   - One at OGC TC in 19-23 March in Orleans

   - One at TPAC in Lyon in October

   The advantage is that we only have to travel two times for f2f
   meetings, and they're nicely distributed over the year.
   However, both are in Europe.

   <jtandy> Option 1 votes?

   <billroberts> +1 (because I think it's good to have a first
   meeting soonish if poss)

   <brinkwoman> +0

   <ScottSimmons> +1

   <tidoust> +1

   <jtandy> Option 2 votes?

   <brinkwoman> +0

   <ScottSimmons> +0

   <tidoust> +1 (works for me as well)

   <billroberts> +0

   <MichaelGordon> +1 (works for me as well)

   <ScottSimmons> * I just want to buy the beer at the one in Fort
   Collins

   <MichaelGordon> No one is going to stop you

   <MichaelGordon> :)

   jtandy: seems a small preference for Option 1. Anyone not
   happy?
   … no objections, so let's go with that

   <brinkwoman> found possible dates:

   <brinkwoman> feb 1 and 2

   <brinkwoman> feb 6 and 7

   <brinkwoman> feb 19 and 20

   <MichaelGordon> 19/20 +1

   <jtandy> 19/20 +1

   <brinkwoman> fine with 3rd option

   <tidoust> 19/20 +1

   <billroberts> 19/20 +1

   <ScottSimmons> I'm likely only remote on the Feb meeting

   <ScottSimmons> 19/20 better

   <brinkwoman> great!

   jtandy: Linda and I will take some actions to plan a meeting in
   Amersfoort on 19/20 Feb

   <brinkwoman> yep will take the lead

   jtandy: one more item on the agenda, but we're over time

   tidoust: Michael Collins from the W3C accessibility group
   commented on work on accessibility in maps and for directions
   … i.e. how to get from point A to point B
   … I'm happy to investigate ideas around accessibility of maps
   with teh accessibility team

   <brinkwoman> I think it would be great if you can do that
   Francois

   PeterRushforth: Google has done a lot of work on making their
   maps accessible so would be great to have some involvement of
   their map people

   jtandy: notes that Ed Parsons is a member of this group. Would
   be interesting also to connect to other map vendors

   jtandy: Francois can make an initial outline of what would be
   relevant and then we can see how that fits in the schedule
   … let's raise it in the public list
   … and we will add it (tentatively) to the work plan

   AOB?

   None

   <MichaelGordon> Issue I was to raise is raised here:
   [15]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/991

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/991

   <brinkwoman> Thank you all, next time I'll try to have sound
   again!

Summary of Action Items

    1. [16]Francois to add a redirect from w3.org to the GitHub
       page
Received on Friday, 5 January 2018 09:06:03 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 5 January 2018 09:06:03 UTC