Re: ACTION-249: Further work on BP8 (geometry)

Many thanks, Ed.

About point (3), I think one of the question is whether it would be
anyway useful to provide examples of existing approaches and the
relevant use cases.

For instance, for bboxes, we can show how this is done with schema:box
in Web pages and locn:geometry for GeoDCAT-AP metadata. GeoDCAT-AP
offers also an example of how to publish geometries in multiple formats
(WKT, GML, GeoJSON) along with the relevant dataset (so, not as
independent resources).

About the information to be included in the RDF representation of
geometries, we already have a number of examples.

For instance, Ordnance Survey basically includes just the geometry -
see, e.g.:

http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/doc/geometry/37256-10

whereas GADM-RDF provides also a description of the available
serialisations:

http://gadm.geovocab.org/id/0/60/geometry

I think this is a useful information: by retrieving the RDF
representation I know whether my preferred serialisation format is
supported and how I can retrieve it.

I'm just thinking aloud, but other possible options may be:
- include the CRS, bbox, centroid, etc.
- provide an RDF description including the most used vocabularies to
facilitate re-use.

I'm actually not aware of any operational system doing the latter, but I
have been experimenting this in a prototype. The resulting RDF
representation of a point geometry is shown here:

https://github.com/andrea-perego/geoiri/blob/master/examples/point(0_0).rdf

This basically includes:
- links to and descriptions of the available serialisations
- the point represented with GeoSPARQL (WKT+GML), Basic Geo, Schema.org,
geo URI scheme and GeoHash, all connected with owl:sameAs to the main
geometry URI

Taking the example above, my understanding is that publishing RDF
representations of geometries includes, but it is not limited to,
filling the gaps / inconsistencies in existing RDF vocabularies, and may
require approaches to promote re-usability analogous to the idea of
providing geometries in multiple serialisations.

Cheers,

Andrea