RE: SSN Thread for github issue 378 - Side effects of ssn:Observation being a kind of dul:Event instead of dul:Situation

A FRESH IDEA TO SOLVE THIS

Are we just being a little too precious here?
Referring to the 2013 spec for O&M  10-004r3 copied in here – is this the right one please? Note that it post-dates ssn.

4.11
observation
act of measuring or otherwise determining the value of a property
4.12
observation procedure
method, algorithm or instrument, or system of these, which may be used in making an observation
4.13
observation protocol
combination of a sampling strategy and an observation procedure used in making an observation
4.14
observation result
estimate of the value of a property determined through a known observation procedure
.
.
4.17 sampling feature
feature which is involved in making observations concerning a domain feature

This is already self-inconsistent. It does say observation is an “act” (but not an ‘activity’, nor an “event’).
Further,  a procedure is used in making an observation, that is, in making the act of measuring. Really?
And an observation protocol is also used in making an act of measuring. Really?
A sampling feature is  involved in making  acts of measuring?

Later,
An observation is an act associated with a discrete time instant or period through which a number, term or
other symbol is assigned to a phenomenon [2]. It involves application of a specified procedure, such as a
sensor, instrument, algorithm or process chain. The procedure may be applied in-situ, remotely, or ex-situ with
respect to the sampling location. The result of an observation is an estimate of the value of a property of some
feature.

Take away the word  “act” and the same can be said of ssn:observation.
It is uncoincidentally very similar  to the definition of an ssn:observation:

An Observation is a Situation in which a Sensing method has been used to estimate or calculate a value of a Property of a FeatureOfInterest.  Links to Sensing and Sensor describe what made the Observation and how; links to Property and Feature detail what was sensed; the result is the output of a Sensor; other metadata details times etc.

Back to the O&M spec:
-This is a consequence of the fact that an observation is a kind of ‘event’ so…
-Aside from the result, the details of the observation event are….
-Observations focus on the data collection event. An act of Observation serves to..
-An observation event is clearly…

This kind of confusion is what you see without an upper ontology, and it really  doesn’t matter at all until you need an upper ontology. It does O&M no harm.
But ssn uses an upper ontology and *is* careful.

KEY POINT
I can see no formal/interoperability/implementation/codebase  difference whatsoever to the O&M spec if an Observation were not an “act” but instead were some kind of object or information entity as ssn sees an Observation. There is no reason at all why an O&M observation has to be a prov:Activity which is, already different to an “act” as in the spec.  The already inconsistent English text in the spec could be improved, though.

THEREFORE
We should indeed align  ssn:observation with an o&m observation  concept, but  do this by defining o&m:observation to be a record of an event.  This requires us to do nothing at all, there is no issue with prov, no issue with the long-standing dul alignment, no consequence for the SSN  user base, no consequence for the O&M user base.  In our o&m alignment we can explain this choice. TOO EASY.

WHY NOT?

The only argument I am aware of against this solution  is Jeremy’s typing on the F2F IRC :
I think ... For me, it seems natural to treat Observation as an Activity ... it's something that's done at a particular time using a specified process. It produces a some data (the result) ... the data, an information resource, is an Entity. SSN seems unnecessarily complex in splitting the problem into SensorOutput, Observation and ActivityOfSensing; OM does this in two classes: Result and Observation.

Well, if it is “natural” then why is the spec so confused about it?  “unnecessarily complex”: is a furphy(!)  – there is no ActivityofSensing in ssn. Having said that, I expect Jeremy is not alone in expecting an observation to be something like an  activity.

-Kerry