From: Krzysztof Janowicz [mailto:janowicz@ucsb.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 19 May 2016 2:59 AM
To: Kerry Taylor <kerry.taylor@anu.edu.au>; s.kolozali@surrey.ac.uk
Cc: public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: ssn "not machine readable"

Hi Kerry,

Yes, super interesting and relevant point. The way I would propose to approach this is by the (vertical) layering of modules. Domain and range restrictions will then be used (together with property chains and so forth) for the deeper axiomatization; see also the wiki. For the SSN core, I would not use global restrictions for the reasons we discussed. In short, horizontal modules add themes (e.g., deployment, sampling features, and so forth), while vertical modules add ontological commitments (essentially a deeper axiomatization).

Or do such applications really require such constraints and so we  put them in the core and are thereby forced into  a position of global constraints everywhere?

This is exactly the issue, they are not constrains but inferential patterns and thus even more dangerous for the typical Linked Datasets we see that take classes and relations from different ontologies and mix them together as they see fit/need.

Cheers,
Jano