Re: ssn "not machine readable"

Hi,

> I am sure you have very good reasons to use global restrictions.

I am not in favor of global domain and range restrictions because 90% of
all people get them wrong and due to their inferential semantics this
leads to unintended consequences. Most people believe that a global
domain or range restriction on a certain property adds something to the
definition of said property why this is absolutely not the case. Guarded
restrictions, however, seem very helpful.

> The core problem with ontologies is once they are developed, people
> tend to look at the ontology structure with their eyes and use their
> own codes instead the real ontology structure to annotate their data.

Ontology is set out to minimize exactly this, namely that people look at
domain vocabulary through their own eyes. This is also why I proposed a
stronger axiomatization for some of the modules that makes full use of
OWL2 (see e.g., the proposed property chain on the wiki). At the same
time most scenarios will not make use of these features. Thus, the core
SSN should ideally be in RDFS or OWL-EL.  Of course, ontologies will not
and cannot fix meaning but they can restrict the interpretation of terms
towards their intended interpretation and thereby substantially improve
semantic interoperability.

Best,
Krzysztof

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu