Re: QB Data Cube Dicing. Was: Coverage subgroup update

Hi Chris

This certainly sounds interesting to me and relevant.

As you say, the RDF Data Cube vocabulary has largely come out of the
statistical community and draws heavily on SDMX.  That means that in most
cases QB dimensions are lists of things or concepts - importantly for
tiling, these typically have no defined order, hence the limitation of
formal 'subsetting' in QB to slices.

A common example of a dimension might be breaking down a population by
ethnicity.  The spatial variation is most commonly represented as a one
dimensional unordered list of area URIs (countries, or administrative
districts or whatever).  The values of a time dimension are most often
interval URIs - which are orderable if the start and end of the intervals
are defined, but not through any standard mechanism of QB.

So to enable dicing with QB as it currently stands would need the subset of
the possible values of a dimension to be listed.  A useful extension to QB
might therefore be to look at standard approaches to defining order and
orderable dimensions.

>From Swirrl's work on statistical data, we've found various situations
around data presentation in a web page, where being able to order things
properly would be useful, so even if the main motivation for looking at
this was to do dicing/tiling, there could be some handy spin-offs for the
kind of data already well served by QB.

We've made some of our own workarounds, for example adding ui:sortPriority
triples to concepts in a concept scheme, to allow a consistent and specific
ordering of dimension values to be defined when needed, eg when the
statisticians have some convention for how a particular quantity should be
presented in a table or whatever.

I'd be willing to contribute to this, but just in terms of workload, I
think I'd have to look to others (you?) to lead and push it.

Cheers

Bill