From: Simon.Cox@csiro.au [mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au]
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:38 AM
To: Simon.Cox@csiro.au; Little, Chris; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: TimeZone class - RE: Time Ontology outstanding Issue 10

I propose adding a class

time:TimeZone

to the main ontology, with the following comments and notes:

  rdfs:comment "A Time Zone is a geographic region that uses clock with a specified offset from UTC. The region and offset are specified by the locally recognised governing authority. "

  skos:definition "A Time Zone is a geographic region that uses clock with a specified offset from UTC. The region and offset are specified by the locally recognised governing authority. "

  skos:historyNote """In the original 2006 version of OWL-Time, the TimeZone class, with several properties corresponding to a specific model of time-zones, was defined in a separate namespace \"http://www.w3.org/2006/timezone#\".

In the current version a class with same local name is put into the main OWL-Time namespace, removing the dependency on the external namespace.

An alignment axiom
 tzont:TimeZone rdfs:subClassOf time:TimeZone .
allows data encoded according to the previous version to be consistent with the updated ontology. """

  skos:scopeNote "In this implementation TimeZone has no properties defined. It should be thought of as an 'abstract' superclass of all specific timezone implementations." ;

Simon