RE: Time Ontology outstanding Issue 10

Agree, but not sure if we are allowed to change the range of a property while leaving it in the same namespace? I think it is OK provided we declare tzont:TimeZone to be a subclass of time:TimeZone, since this would make all existing instances still consistent.

-----Original Message-----
From: Little, Chris [mailto:chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk]
Sent: Saturday, 17 December, 2016 03:29
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>; sdwwg@lists.opengeospatial.org
Subject: Time Ontology outstanding Issue 10

Dear All,

Here is an issue in the latest draft of the Time Ontology http://w3c.github.io/sdw/time/ for discussion and resolution.

As said in Issue 9, there is ongoing work in OGC, and ISO on non-Gregorian calendars and time in WKT that is relevant.

As there is probably a consensus that Annex B Time Zone and namespace zont is not well developed, I support this proposal to add a stub class for Time Zone.

My understanding is that this has been done, so I propose that the issue is resolved but some of the text is left to explain the need for future work.

Chris
----------------
5.8 Class: GeneralDateTimeDescription
Issue 10 [No link]
The time zone ontology provided in the Annex is immature and incomplete. Use of a tzont:TimeZone from that ontology as the range of an ObjectProperty in OWL-Time creates an implied dependency which is not ideal. We propose adding a stub class time:TimeZone into the main namespace (i.e. no properties) which can then be a super-class or equivalent class to any time zone formalization.(Compare with time:TRS which is handled this way.)

Chris Little
Co-Chair, OGC Meteorology & Oceanography Domain Working Group

IT Fellow - Operational Infrastructures
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel: +44(0)1392 886278  Fax: +44(0)1392 885681  Mobile: +44(0)7753 880514
E-mail: chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

I am normally at work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each week