Re: Clarification required: BP6 "use HTTP URIs for spatial things"

Important we have this in depth discussion and reach consensus - because
its impossible to expect a wider audience to arrive at a usefully common
view without guidance.

This stuff is out there, so its not a theoretical discussion. but some of
the practices conflate things in a way that makes data hard to integrate.

There are a couple of practical implications I havent seen fully addressed,
yet would need to be highlighted IMHO:

 One mechanism in widespread use is that the URI for the 'thing'  redirects
to a URL for a resource about the thing.  Lets call
 these U & R.   What is important to recognise here is that the
relationship between U and R is mediated by conneg... In the case of the UK
Linked Data example, it may be further mediated by additonal parameters
within the Web architecture.

So the information content is always URI + some client-defined context  ->
a resource that the server believes meets the context requirements.

At the very least U -> { R1, R2,R3...}

-> can be seen as some type of property relationship - so this behaviour
can be automated or also stated in a useful way

U hasRepresentation R1

or perhaps reified

{ subject U, object R1, predicate hasRepresentation, type aFeatureType,
label "X', dct:hasFormat "image/svg" }

The reified case makes it obvious that the "client defined context" can be
matched to the properties of the relationship - however this logic is just
as likely to be implemented in the conneg or API layer, thats a contract
between client and server which is part of the broader Web architecture -
for now let us focus on whether the functionality required can be met by
the available information...

now if  U1 -> R and U2 -> R then both U1 and U2 may have the same set of
properties in this case

X owl:SameAs Y  states that the properties of X apply to Y and vice versa.
There are other implications here as well

he value constraint owl:hasValue
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-semantics-20040210/#owl_hasValue> is a
built-in OWL property that links a restriction class to a value V, which
can be either an individual <https://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#Individual> or a
 data value <https://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#Datatype>. A restriction
containing a owl:hasValue constraint describes a class of all individuals
for which the property concerned has at least one value *semantically* equal
to V (it may have other values as well).

NOTE: for datatypes "semantically equal" means that the lexical
representation of the literals maps to the same value. For individuals it
means that they either have the same URI reference or are defined as being
the same individual (see owl:sameAs
<https://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#sameAs-def>).
So I beleive they key thing here is to provide guidance to those unfamiliar
with the semantics underpinnings to not break things and given them a
simple way forward.

So - if we have two FeatureTypes (Vert.Obstruction) and (Nav..) then we
have two scenarios we need to cover:

1) U -> {R1, R2)
2) U1 -> R1, U2 -> R2, U1 = U2

In summary - as an implementer who now understands the probIem I have a
small number of questions:

1) in the latter case is BP to declare U1 owl:sameAs U2?  If not - what is
the predicate ?

2) what is the appropriate predicate for the  U predicate R1 ?

3) How do I share the context (i.e. those reified bindings of U to R1...n)
so a client can understand them

If we cannot nail down the terms to use now, then I believe we need to
state in the BP that a mechanism needs to be chosen to address these
specific concerns according to the principles of re-use - but I also
suggest we flag this as a critical "must solve" issue for the communities
we would suggest pointing users to.

Rob