Re: Clarification required: BP6 "use HTTP URIs for spatial things"

Hmm. I am not sure whether I understand the issue here. The lighthouse
(in the real world) is an obstruction and it is a navigation aid. Thus
some lighthouses are members of multiple sets, e.g., of the set of all
navigation aids.

> What I have seen in Linked Data is that folks don't bother to identify
> the _representation_, they identify the thing that is being
> represented. So in the case that different authorities mint different
> URIs for Eddystone Lighthouse (as indicated in my example), they
> _both_ refer to Eddystone Lighthouse (not the representation) which
> means that <owl:sameAs> is appropriate (e.g. both identifiers refer to
> the same resource).

Can you clarify what you mean? owl:sameAs states that two *URIs* refer
to the same *entity* (not classes). How does representation come into
play here?

> My problem is that in RDF Schema [1], as far as I understand, classes
> are all about sets and set membership.

Their *interpretations* are sets.

> That’s what I’ve indicated is a possibility, but someone has to define
> a set which are lighthouses that are members of both other sets
> (classes), and then it takes on both sets of accompanying attributes
> and axioms,

You mean explicitly? No, there is no need for such a class (which you
can define if you really want to, but it could lead to a combinatorial
explosion).

> The use of “sameRealWorldEntityAs” would give us a weaker, but clearer
> assertion.

Sorry, can you explain this in more detail?

Best,
Krzysztof

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu