From: Frans Knibbe [mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:52 PM
To: SDW WG Public List
Subject: Should Best Practices in the BP document be viewed as requirements for SSN and Coverages (and Time)?

Hello,

This is another spin-off of Rob's comments on the UCR document<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2016Aug/0172.html> and remarks that were made on other occasions (I think Bill commented in the same vein earlier when he looked at the requirements from the Coverage perspective). I think the point is this: the UCR document has requirements for four deliverables: BP, Time, SSN and Coverage. Of these, the BP deliverable is the general one, it applies to all spatial data. Therefore, requirements for the BP could easily be said to be applicable to the other deliverables that are concerned with more specific spatial data: SSN and Coverages. But the link has not always been made, and that appears to be confusing.

I can think of two ways to solve that problem:

  1.  We assume that best practices described in the Best Practices document will be applied in the Coverage and SSN deliverables. So in a sense the Best Practices will form a set of requirements for the Coverage and SSN deliverables. A good thing about that approach would be that cross-deliverable information exchange is encouraged and that BP on one hand and Coverage and SSN on the other can benefit from each other's work. But a practical problem is that the work is done in parallel - ideally the best practices should have been available at the start of the Coverage and SSN efforts.
  2.  We create extra links in the UCR document between BP requirements and the SSN and Coverage (and Time?) deliverables, where appropriate.
What do you think?

Regards,
Frans