From: Rob Atkinson [mailto:rob@metalinkage.com.au]
Sent: Saturday, 20 August 2016 2:32 PM
To: Joshua Lieberman <jlieberman@tumblingwalls.com>; Ed Parsons <eparsons@google.com>
Cc: Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>; SDW WG (public-sdw-wg@w3.org) <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Question about identifiers

IMHO there is a basic principle that neatly resolves this - identifiers are generated by a registration process (i.e. if you accept something is an identifier you are essentially assuming its minting process is a registration process, i.e. you are subscribing to that governance). Registry practices are quite well established - and we should point people to these.  These include things like not reusing identifers, version handling etc.

If a dataset does not conform to the principles of registration then it is not suitable as a source of concept identifiers - e.g. a spatial dataset whose object ids change every version may be used as a resource, and features may have URLs, but such URLS must not be used as URIs - it is necessary to put a redirect from a more stable identifier set to the resource du jour.

Within a registration paradigm, the URI pattern is a simple registry delegation model - an item lives within a register (its base URI left of the /).  These may be nested, in the same way subregisters may be items in a register. Register URIs should be dereferenceable to get metadata about the governance process and the type of object in the register.

Thus, hierarchies made this way are stable. If governance of the set of items change, then new identifiers must be minted and a reference to old identifers should be included.

The UK examples conform to this pattern, although they seem to have converged on it rather that started with a registration perspective. WMO practice at codes.wmo.int<http://codes.wmo.int> formalises this more explicitly

Rob