Re: Best Practice sub-team call: 14:00 UTC, 20-April-2016

Regrets over having a conflict for today’s call. It will be useful to define what is meant or covered by “spatial ontology”. A notion of things that might mean is covered here: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/geo/XGR-geo-ont-20071023/ <http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/geo/XGR-geo-ont-20071023/>

ISO 19107 covers geometries and operators, but the feature model as presented in 19109 is perhaps more relevant to the semantic question whether features are relevant on the Web. My sense is that feature discernment is relevant everywhere but there is resistance to the “complexity” of being explicit about it in Web content.

The biggest hurdle may still be the divide between coordinate sequences as literals and coordinates as individual objects. Amazingly, that colors almost every aspect of debates over spatial ontologies, such as whether single latitude and longitude properties are enough  for anything worthwhile on the web.

Lastly, “webbiness” is good, but so is geometric and geodetic validity and consistency. The BP group should consider adopting the GeoSPARQL ontology as a best first start and charging OGC with developing a normative update to that. Everyone likes to make their own ontology, but the compatibility and computability issues then make for problems in large-scale spatial data representations.

—Josh

Joshua Lieberman, Ph.D.
Principal
Tumbling Walls