Re: Good practice for RDF publishing of multiple geometries with different CRSs?

On 11/04/2016 12:21, Frans Knibbe wrote:
> Hello Matt, Raphaël,
>
> Thank you for your answers! It is nice to see that Matt's first solution
> aligns with Raphaël's solution. The GeoSPARQL query will work, but I
> think it is a less general solution, it depends on a particular API
> (SPARQL) and support of a particular function (getSRID) by the SPARQL
> engine.
>
> It's also nice to see Matt signalling the need for standardization and
> Raphaël providing some or all of it next. I do notice a difference in
> approach: In Matt's example a set of coordinates using a particular CRS
> is a serialization of a geometry, while in Raphaël's example it is the
> geometry itself. Is any of these two approaches based on core semantics
> of geometry (e.g. the OGC simple features model)? It seems important
> that we use the same definitions in this group.

I think it's worth mentioning the (long) discussion on this topic we had
in the LOCADD CG.

I'm copy-pasting below the relevant part of the summary [1]:

[[
The possibility of specifying a CRS separately from the geometry
representation / serialisation was supported by two main use cases:

1. Ability to explicitly specify a CRS in data aggregated from different
sources, which are using, implicitly, different default CRSs - see
Raphaël's mail (22 Dec 2013)

2. Ability to query the CRS (e.g., filter geometries based on their CRS)
also in SPARQL endpoints not supporting GeoSPARQL or stSPARQL - see
Frans's mail (30 Dec 2013)

The discussion basically focussed on two main issues:

- The possible drawbacks of specifying the CRS separately from the
geometry representation.

- Whether it would be possible or not to address the use cases with CRS
specified as part of the geometry representation / serialisation.

The group moved towards the agreement to allow both approaches as
alternative and not exclusive options for the specification of a CRS.
]]

Personally, I think the point is still valid.

Andrea

----
[1]https://www.w3.org/community/locadd/wiki/Use_case:_CRS_specification