Re: UCR issue: phrasing of CRS requirement(s)

On 05/15/15 14:41, matthew perry wrote:
> With OGC GeoSPARQL, we had the same discussion about a default CRS and chose
> to define WGS84 long-lat as the default. The main motivation being that we
> wanted to keep things simple for the non-expert user and the fact that the
> vast majority of spatial data on the web is encoded with this CRS.

not sure about this.
For example, ETRS89 is used widely in Europe. Here an example for coordinates on
a web page where only a few clicks later you learn that the CRS is ETRS89:
http://www.unterpremstaetten.at/cms/index.php/unsere-gemeinde/geografische-laenge-und-breite.html

...and what about time? elevation? It is fun talking to ocean experts about what
"mean sea level" is.

BTW, earlier in this thread the Lat/Long vs Long/Lat issue (ie, axis order in
coordinates) has been mentioned. Recent specs, like the OGC Coverage model
[09-146r2] don't have that any more because they explicitly specify axis order.
An opportunity for W3C to get it right from the start and benefit from learning
curves made.

cheers,
Peter