W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > May 2015

[Minutes] 2015-05-06 & Issue Tracking

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 10:01:27 +0100
Message-ID: <554B29E7.8030304@w3.org>
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
The minutes of yesterday's meeting are at 
http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes and copied below for convenience.

On Simon's question about how to comment on issues, the tracker is 
integrated with this mailing list. All you need to do is to make your 
comment and include ISSUE-6 anywhere in the subject or body of the e-mail.

So this e-mail will now be recorded in the Issue tracker as being 
relevant to that issue.

I know Jeremy has good experience of using GitHub issue tracker, 
complete with labels and merges closing issues - if that's how the WG 
wants to work that's OK, but you lose the integration with IRC and this 
mailing list.

W3C is in the process of building a new set of tools that will do better 
integration with GitHub and other systems. Robin Berjon gave a 
presentation on this at our member meeting just yesterday in Paris. Part 
of that work includes taking copies of threads from GH and storing them 
on w3.org somewhere (GH has no guarantee of persistence and could 'turn 
evil' at any time).

Personally, I prefer what I know, which is this system, but I'm not 
going to object, and W3C doesn't mind, if the WG decides to make more 
use of GH. The most important thing is that issues are tracked and 
archived, and we know where they are tracked - and we don't have 
multiple but disjoint conversations about the same thing.

Yesterday's minutes below.

Cheers

Phil.


           Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference

06 May 2015

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Frans, kerry, Rachel, rachel, LarsG, aharth, Linda,
           Payam, pthiran, ClemensPortele, MattPerry, Jitao,
           Alejandro_Llaves, AndreaPerego, jtandy, SimonCox, Bart,
           van, Leeuwen, Adila, ebremer, Ian, Holt

    Regrets
           ed, bill_roberts, phil_archer, Josh

    Chair
           Kerry

    Scribe
           mattperry

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]review priciples on WIKI
          2. [5]Actions and Issues
      * [6]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <trackbot> Date: 06 May 2015

    <kerry> present_ kerry

    <kerry> present?

    <BartvanLeeuwen> okay I can't get audio conference to work on
    webex

    <Frans> What is the problem?

    <BartvanLeeuwen> No audio device foun

    <Frans> Bart, you are on Linux? I read you could try it from
    32-bit firefox.

    <BartvanLeeuwen> I'm not gona mess with that

    <Payam> same here; I have to leave early

    <kerry> scribe: mattperry

    <kerry> scribenick: mattperry

    <kerry> [7]http://www.w3.org/2015/04/29-sdw-minutes.html

       [7] http://www.w3.org/2015/04/29-sdw-minutes.html

    PROPOSE: accept last week's minutes

    <Frans> +1

    <jtandy> +1

    <Linda> +1

    <ebremer> +1

    <aharth> +1

    <Payam> +1

    RESOLUTION: last week's minutes

    <kerry> [8]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

       [8] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

    kerry: attention patent call

    pthiran: professor of CS in Belgium
    ... interest in GIS and context aware computing

review priciples on WIKI

    <Frans> [9]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Principles

       [9] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Principles

    kerry: principles should be high level vision to guide what we
    prepare
    ... Ed has drafted something already
    ... please review it
    ... we do expect some non-functional requirements to come out
    of use cases or be separately discovered

    <kerry> ack

    AndreaPerego: non-functional requirements are basically the
    same as principles -- specify what to do not how

    kerry: example: spatial data on web should be discoverable
    ... this is a principle not a requirement related to a use case

    <Frans> Distinction is not clear to me as well

    AndreaPerego: difficult for me to understand the distinction
    between principle and requirement here
    ... my understanding is principle is what we want to acheieve
    in general and requirement is how we want to achieve that with
    spatial data

    kerry: things should be linked to other things is a principle
    ... all ontologies should be valid OWL is a non-functional
    requirement
    ... to me it's clear but maybe not for others
    ... perhaps we can create a discussion around this topic on the
    WIKI

    <AndreaPerego> +1

    <jtandy> web architecture [10]http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/ ...
    "practice", "constraint" & "principle"

      [10] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/

    <Zakim> jtandy, you wanted to refer to the web architecture
    [11]http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/ as an example

      [11] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/

    <ChrisLittle> +1

    jtandy: web architecture adresses a similar distinction
    ... this could be a guide for us

    <jtandy> [12]http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-global-id

      [12] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-global-id

    <jtandy> [13]http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-use-uris

      [13] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-use-uris

    jtandy: principle associated with practice

    Frans: we all have our own ideas here
    ... I would like to put these things in the glossary:
    principles, non-functional requirements, etc.

    <kerry> ACTION: frans to put some of these principles, NFRs etc
    into glossary [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-24 - Put some of these principles,
    nfrs etc into glossary [on Frans Knibbe - due 2015-05-13].

    kerry: jtandy can you help?

    <kerry> ACTION: jtandy to help with glossary [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action02]

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-25 - Help with glossary [on Jeremy
    Tandy - due 2015-05-13].

    kerry: if you're not sure put it on the principles page and we
    can discuss

Actions and Issues

    kerry: on left-hand-side of wiki there is a tracker

    <kerry> [16]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/

    <Alejandro_Llaves> +q on Bart suggestion

    <Zakim> Alejandro_Llaves, you wanted to comment on Bart
    suggestion

    Alejandro_Llaves: purpose of spreadsheet was to show use-cases
    and requirements and for submitters to check their requirments
    for completeness
    ... if you find something missing please add a comment

    kerry: a lot of people have some actions to check their
    requirements
    ... I have completed the action to go through headings of
    spreadsheet to make text clearer
    ... there are still use cases that we have not been through yet

    <kerry> close action-13

    <trackbot> Closed action-13.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> Link to the spreadsheet:
    [17]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PSnpJYQDgsdgZgPJEfU
    U0EhVfgFFYGc1WL4xUX9Dunk/edit?usp=sharing

      [17] 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PSnpJYQDgsdgZgPJEfUU0EhVfgFFYGc1WL4xUX9Dunk/edit?usp=sharing

    kerry: the other way to close is through a link on the wiki
    ... quite a lot of open actions
    ... Payam had action 20

    Payam: I still need to do this

    <kerry> close action-20

    <trackbot> Closed action-20.

    <Frans> Not 202, only 101 :-)

    <kerry> close action-23

    <trackbot> Closed action-23.

    kerry: we also track issues. There are a few things there
    ... example ISSUE 2
    ... this is about principles
    ... ISSUE 7 use cases should have data

    Frans: suggest that we should use the tracker to raise issues
    for use-cases and requirements so we dont lose track of them

    <SimonCox> Please can you confirm which forum to use to comment
    on issues.

    kerry: that was an invitation to the group to raise things as
    issues

    <SimonCox> e.g. where do I comment on
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/6

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/6

    <Zakim> jtandy, you wanted to ask about using github issue
    tracker for issues with the deliverables themselves

    jtandy: an alternative option is to use github issue tracker
    ... can relate issues to pull requests

    <SimonCox> +1 to github

    kerry: I suggest that we use the W3C issue tracker because of
    integration with IRC, etc.

    <SimonCox> Too many different issue trackers confuse workflow

    <jtandy> e.g. [19]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues

    jtandy: integration with the minutes vs. integration with where
    you get work done should help guide the decision

    kerry: issues can be managed with the tracker
    ... I will raise an issue for this

    <kerry> issue: would we use github for better inetgration with
    work/

    <trackbot> Created ISSUE-8 - Should we use github for better
    integration with work/. Please complete additional details at
    <[20]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/8/edit>.

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/8/edit

    kerry: lets continue this discussion later

    <Alejandro_Llaves> +1 on starting with W3C issue tracker and
    move later to github if needed

    kerry: anything else about use case deliverable

    <Alejandro_Llaves> +q on use case and reqs deliverable

    Frans: it would be good to start raising isses in the tracker.
    That's good enough for now
    ... for some clarity on what needs to happen

    <Alejandro_Llaves> latest version of UCs and reqs draft:
    [21]http://w3c.github.io/sdw/UseCases/SDWUseCasesAndRequirement
    s.html

      [21] http://w3c.github.io/sdw/UseCases/SDWUseCasesAndRequirements.html

    <Zakim> Alejandro_Llaves, you wanted to comment on use case and
    reqs deliverable

    Alejandro_Llaves: from our side, we are progressing trying to
    add requirments from spreadsheet to document. This is a time
    consuming task

    <SimonCox> My question was not answered - there is no 'comment
    on this issue' button on an issue page, so it is not clear
    where to submit comments.

    Alejandro_Llaves: it's progressing well
    ... finished with SSN requirements moving to Time

    <SimonCox> (I removed myself from q so as not to undermine
    agenda, but my question remains)

    kerry: I would like to ask if you could get some more help from
    the group

    Frans: it would help if we raise our questions on the tracker,
    which will help force decisions

    <kerry> ACTION: kerry to put ucr issues on every agenda
    [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action03]

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-26 - put ucr issues on every agenda
    [on Kerry Taylor - due 2015-05-13].

    SimonCox: looking at issue 6, how do I make comments on an
    issue

    kerry: the discussed in meetings or in mailing list

    <Frans> I have a ¨Edit this issue¨ link in the tracker

    kerry: best thing is through email list

    SimonCox: I could edit the issue but this is disorganized.
    Other systems allow a comment trace

    <ChrisLittle> +1 to github

    significant support for github heard

    <jtandy> test: SimonCox referenced ISSUE-6 ... let's see if
    that's referenced in the issue itself!

    kerry: contact chairs to be an editor

    <jtandy> (seems not)

    kerry: please tell chairs if you want to add a topic to a
    meeting

    <Frans> Shouldn´t the URI of the issue be used? E.g.
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/2

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/2

    kerry: time to start looking more deeply at relevant existing
    technologies in this space

    <kerry> [24]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/

    kerry: use this link to make speaking proposals
    ... probably 15 min talks
    ... plus 15 min discussion
    ... any questions or isses?

    silence

    <kerry> rrsagent. draft minutes

    <ebremer> thank you

    <jtandy> bye!

    <BartvanLeeuwen> thx kerry

    <IanHolt> Thanks.

    <LarsG> bye

    <ChrisLittle> bye and thank you

    bye

    <Alejandro_Llaves> thanks, bye!

    <AndreaPerego> Thank you!

    <ClemensPortele> thanks, bye!

    <Payam> thanks, bye

    <ebremer> bye :-)

    <kerry> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: frans to put some of these principles, NFRs etc
    into glossary [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: jtandy to help with glossary [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: kerry to put ucr issues on every agenda [recorded
    in [27]http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action03]

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action01
      [26] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action02
      [27] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/06-sdw-minutes.html#action03

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________
Received on Thursday, 7 May 2015 09:01:33 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 2 September 2016 12:03:01 UTC