From: Linda van den Brink [mailto:l.vandenbrink@geonovum.nl]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2015 8:44 AM
To: SDW WG (public-sdw-wg@w3.org)
Subject: RE: the need for a glossary

+1

Van: Thiago José Tavares Ávila [mailto:thiago.avila@ic.ufal.br]
Verzonden: vrijdag 20 februari 2015 0:56
Aan: Frans Knibbe | Geodan
CC: public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Onderwerp: Re: the need for a glossary

Excellent.

The glossary will optimize our time to align concepts and will enrich the documentation of our working group.

I agree with this proposal.

Thiago

Em quinta-feira, 19 de fevereiro de 2015, Frans Knibbe | Geodan <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl<mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>> escreveu:
Hello everyone,

Following yesterdays teleconference, I think it would be a good idea to create a glossary page on the wiki, with concise definitions of the terms we use in communication. We operate in a confluence of two domains, so there is a risk of not fully understanding each other's jargon. Besides that, we want to be clear towards external interested people, who can have very different backgrounds.

What we certainly want to avoid is thinking that we are talking about the same thing when in fact we are not!

Two examples come to mind:

When discussing spatial information, I once was involved in a long and headache inducing discussion about whether a geographical name is a feature (a 'feature' is a very basic concept in the OGC world). It was rather hard to find the place in the OGC standards where the feature concept is defined, but still that did not resolve the issue.

Another discussion I took part in was taking place in the Linked Data domain. It involved a basic concept of the semantic web, the 'resource'. It was apparent that the concept is hard to grasp for some people, and that it is somewhat open to interpretation. Especially with the distinction between an 'information resource' and a 'non information resource', and a definition that has changed somewhat over time.

If we agree that having a glossary page is a good idea I would be happy to start one and put 'spatial feature' and 'spatial context' on it.

A side effect would be that we will have URLs for definitions that can be used on other web pages.

Regards,
Frans

Frans Knibbe
Geodan