Re: discoverability and crawlability

I prefer 1 & 2, I want to be able to crawl and discover in one step - not
interrogate a catalogue, parse it  and then only as a final step visit the
data...

Ed

Ed Parsons
Geospatial Technologist, Google

Mobile: +44 (0)7
​825 382263

Personal blog www.edparsons.com/blog/

"It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy."
Hi Ed,

Ok, so then the requirements would be:

1) Spatial data on the web should be discoverable as spatial data (by
humans, but especially by machines).
2) It should be possible to directly identify and retrieve data about
individual spatial things.

Or should

   -  the abilty to discover spatial data on the web

and

   - the abilty to recognize data on the web as being spatial

be two separate requirements?

For example, discoverability can be helped by having data set catalogs, and
by having an easy way of deriving URI's of individual resources from a
dataset URI. The ability to recognize data on the web could be helped by
having a common data type, or collection of data types.

Regards,
Frans