Re: Requirements from UC-19

Dear Lars & all,

first my apologies, I understand the thread has progressed already. Some cents
below:

On 04/21/15 18:17, Svensson, Lars wrote:
> Dear Ed and Frans,
>
> For my Use Case 19 (Publishing Cultural Heritage Data), I identified the following existing and new requirements:
>
> - Best Practice
> -- existing
>
> 1) There should be a common encoding/serialisation for spatial data as RDF

definitely supported, in addition to the existing formats. We will not want to
serialise a 10 TB datacube into RDF, but for condensed data to be fed into
reasoners it is practicable indeed. In OGC we have a growing list of mappings
from coverages to data formats in place, which are more or less simple
translation tables. Could serve as a low-effort template.

> 2) It should be possible to validate data
>
> - Coverage
> -- existing
>
> 1) Temporal context
> 2) geospatial alignment (not sure about this one, what it means is the alignment of a named entity to its geospatial feature)
>
> -- new
>
> 1) It must be possible to state that the spatial coverage is inexact ("north of", "close to", "coordinates are approximate")

as I understand that this W3C effort is mainly motivated by m2m communication Im
not sure how to exploit such a feature; can you point me at use cases? I'd be
very interested to learn more in this respect.

> - Time
> -- existing
>
> 1) temporal granularity flexibility
> 2) temporal vagueness [fuzzy dates/periods]
> 3) temporal reasoning and relations (xsd formats)
> 4) nominal temporal references [e. g. " Vormärz", "La Tène period"]

what you request here is a calendar, a concept sitting on top of the innocent,
second-based time axis. Calendars are not so innocent and cause us quite some
headaches in the OGC Temporal.DWG. Recently we seem to converge but there are
caveats like months of different lengths (as we know) and years with 360 days
(maybe not so common). Chris Little can present you with a zoo of exotic cases.

best,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann