Re: JWOC charter

Hi Kerry

Regarding the statistical data best practices strand of the JWOC charter,
the motivation for that came from discussions in SDW about use cases
centred on statistical data referred to geographical locations.  I expect
that many aspects of the best practices might turn out to be applicable
more broadly than 'stats about places' but the spatial use cases are likely
to be important.

This seems quite similar to the relationship of the SSN or Time work to the
SDW group: both the SSN and Time work are relevant and applicable to
situations with no significant spatial component, but they are important
for many spatial data applications.

My view is that it we should leave the name of the group unchanged and
continue to keep it focused on data issues with a spatial component -
looking at statistical data will address some important and common ways of
characterising and comparing different places.

Best regards

Bill