RE: FW: Time Ontology: Smallest possible increment-of-time

Thanks, Bart.

I tried thinking last night but couldn’t come up with a plausible but simple example.

Ah, caffeine kicking in this morning:

1.       ‘Ball in’ or ‘Ball out’ detectors for tennis and other sports;

2.       Lighting detection equipment – timing of electromagnetic signature of a lightning stroke to microsecond precision then comparing with two or more other signatures from other distant receivers to deduce the direction and location of actual stroke.
But I am not sure how we would turn these into OWL/Turtle examples.

Maybe for this latter:
Identify start and end instants of signature pattern waveform.
Compare with start and end instants of similar signatures, but check that they are not too far away (i.e. time difference of starts or ends are not more than 18000km/300 000km/s => more than 180 degrees away on a great circle line. Light takes 0.04 seconds to travels the earth’s diameter

Millisecond precision would locate stroke only to nearest 300km - not good enough.
Microsecond precision would locate stroke to about nearest 300m – good enough.
Nanosecond precision  would locate stroke to about 30cm – too hard to do, and not very meaningful.

Would that do?

Chris