Re: geosparql:asWkt feedback from NL

Hi Clemens,

LOL, you boomeranged me with my own argument.

Yes, if the geometry literal is supposed to be a single string literal from
which all the information about the geometry can be derived it makes sense
to include the information about the CRS in the string, too. But why is
geometry supposed to be a single string literal? Is there agreement it
should be in the case of spatial data on the web?

I think the main question is one of atomicity: Which should be the basic
building blocks of geometry? We agree (somewhat) on what the basic
attributes of geometry are, but the point is which of those parts should
always be taken together. One approach would be to have them all together
in a single literal, for the sake of simplicity. Another is to view them as
separate parts, to be flexible in building different data representations.
The neogeo approach goes that way the furthest, even taking apart the array
of coordinates. I think having the coordinates in one literal and to have
the other attributes (CRS, type, dimensionality, ...) as separate parts
hits the sweet spot in terms of practicality and versatility.

In (variants of) WKT we see several parts of geometry taken together. That
is understandable given the reason why it was invented. But RDF has its own
ways of expressing and linking things. It makes sense to me to rethink the
way we want to express the way we can express geometry by taking advantage
of what RDF has to offer. There seems to be agreement that it is a good
idea to let a CRS reference be a URI than can be resolved into data
describing the URI. But the URI should be made known as a URI in order to
be able to take advantage of it. For example, if the CRS is stored as a URI
it can be used in URI matching algorithms in triple stores.

Next to that, I can think of cases where a geometry does not have a CRS. An
SVG geometry without a CRS is valid, if I am correct. For historical data
the CRS could be unknown. By making the CRS mandatory we would exclude
certain types of geometric data.

Regards,
Frans