From: Peter Baumann [p.baumann@jacobs-university.de]
Sent: Saturday, 2 January 2016 8:17 PM
To: Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton); phila@w3.org; public-sdw-comments@w3.org; public-dwbp-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: Subsetting data

looking at queries is a nicely general approach (which I like), it is just that this transcends subsetting:
Subset = set of elements which have been preexisting (ex: vectors from a vector bundle)
Query in addition includes
- fusion = combination of more than one object involved, such as image overlay
- aggregation = delivering scalars, something maybe not in the original object (such as a feature bundle, which is not a scalar) -> type change
- any other type of processing (such as rasterizing vectors, or vectorizing rasters) -> type change

Note that this narrow definition of subset includes an OGC WFS / Filter Encoding right away, whereas the "extended view" does not.

-Peter

On 2016-01-02 01:10, Simon.Cox@csiro.au<mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au> wrote:
> to be persistent, identifiers should not include queries against a specific API or query endpoint.

For sure. I didn't say anything about the form of the query. It may not even look like a query. Opensearch is an obvious model for implementation-independent syntax (after all it's just key-value pairs).

However, I do think it is worth keeping the notion of subset=query result in view. Sure, some query results may be more persistent and therefore worthy of denotation with a special identifier. But the same subset will also be the result of some query anyway. That's just an example of non-unique identifiers.

Simon J D Cox

Research Scientist

Environmental Information Infrastructures

Land and Water

CSIRO

E simon.cox@csiro.au<mailto:simon.cox@csiro.au> T +61 3 9545 2365 M +61 403 302 672

   Physical: Reception Central, Bayview Avenue, Clayton, Vic 3168

   Deliveries: Gate 3, Normanby Road, Clayton, Vic 3168

   Postal: Private Bag 10, Clayton South, Vic 3169

people.csiro.au/Simon-Cox

orcid.org/0000-0002-3884-3420

researchgate.net/profile/Simon_Cox3