Re: Quick question after the Spatial Data on the Web Conference in Amsterdam

An interesting point, that was I think part of an ongoing more
philosophical point we have discussed for the last few months.  The City
Pasquale mentions as a thing of interest we would assign an identifier to
which could be used to link to other objects containing information about
it, a record containing population, the name of the mayor, temperature
forecast for today etc.

Should we not think of the geometry representing the shape of the city in
the same way, one record contains it geometry as modelling for small scale
map production (a 1D point), another record the geometry associated with a
midscale web mapping product (2d Polygon), we can cope with a city having
multiple football teams linking to the different information records for
each team, why not different geometries ?

Ed

*Ed Parsons*
Geospatial Technologist, Google

Google Voice +44 (0)20 7881 4501