Re: adding hypermedia to spatial data best practices

hello rob.

On 2015-08-07 18:41, Rob Atkinson wrote:
>  From the perspective of someone trying to put spatial data on the web,
> it is largely general issues that are the problem, rather than the
> spatial aspects. So i think the focus on distilling a set of best
> practices for the spatial cases is a sensible start.

yes, i very much second that. since there seems to be parallel work on
"data on the web" and "spatial data on the web", it would be odd to
replicate anything that's not specifically spatial in nature.

now, some things may be interesting to mention. for example, when we did
the "tiled feeds" work, we introduced spatial links that would allow
clients to do the equivalent of UI interactions with web-based maps
(zoom in/out, 2d-pan). we never got around to properly register these
link relations, so maybe that would actually be something to look at for
the spatial data group as some spatial groundwork that can serve as a
starting point for all kinds of data.

> What we get with spatial data is a need to make all the moving parts
> work in concert.. we have issues of identification,  dimensionality,
> data models, distributed governance (AAA), data volumes, trust, API
> design and encoding at every juncture in addition to pure spatial concerns.

but as you say, mostly these are general data/service concerns and
almost always are orthogonal to spatial issues, right?

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |