Re: Shrinking existing libraries as a goal

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
> >>
> >> So, out of curiosity - do you have a list of things?  I'm wondering
> >> where some efforts fall in all of this - whether they are good or bad
> >> on this scale, etc... For example:  querySelectorAll - it has a few
> >> significant differences from jQuery both in terms of what it will
> >> return (jquery uses getElementById in the case that someone does #,
> >> for example, but querySelectorAll doesn't do that if there are
> >> multiple instances of the same id in the tree)
> >

> > Which is an abomination for for developers to deal with, considering the
> ID
> > attribute value "must be unique amongst all the IDs in the element's home
> > subtree"[1] . qSA should've been spec'ed to enforce the definition of an
> ID
> > by only returning the first match for an ID selector - devs would've
> learned
> > quickly how that worked; since it doesn't and since getElementById is
> > faster, jQuery must take on the additional code burden, via cover API, in
> > order to make a reasonably usable DOM querying interface. jQuery says
> > "you're welcome".
> >

> >> and performance (this
> >> example illustrates both - since jQuery is doing the simpler thing in
> >> all cases, it is actually able to be faster (though technically not
> >> correct)
> >

> > I'd argue that qSA, in its own contradictory specification, is "not
> > correct".
>
> It has been argued in the past - I'm taking no position here, just
> noting.  For posterity (not you specifically, but for the benefit of
> those who don't follow so closely), the HTML link also references DOM
> Core, which has stated for some time that getElementById should return
> the _first_  element with that ID in the document (implying that there
> could be more than one) [a] and despite whatever CSS has said since
> day one (ids are unique in a doc) [b] a quick check in your favorite
> browser will show that CSS doesn't care, it will style all IDs that
> match.  So basically - qSA matches CSS, which does kind of make sense
> to me... I'd love to see it "corrected" in CSS too (first element with
> that ID if there are more than one) but it has been argued that a lot
> of stuff (more than we'd like to admit) would break.
>
> >> in some very difficult ones. Previously, this was something
> >> that the browser APIs just didn't offer at all -- now they offer them,
> >> but jQuery has mitigation to do in order to use them effectively since
> >> they do not have parity.
> >

> > Yes, we're trying to reduce the amount of mitigation that is required of
> > libraries to implement reasonable apis. This is a multi-view discussion:
> > short and long term.
> >

> So can someone name specific items?   Would qSA / find been pretty
> high on that list?  Is it "better" for jQuery (specifically) that we
> have them in their current state or worse?  Just curious.

TBH, the current state can't get any worse, though I'm sure it will.
Assuming you're referring to this:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/1454.html

... Yes, APIs like this would be improvements, especially considering the
pace of implementation in modern browsers - hypothetically, this could be
in wide implementation in less then a year; by then development of a sort
of "jQuery 2.0" could happen -- same API, but perhaps modern browser only??
This is hypothetical of course.

Rick