Re: Determining what prototype should be used for an object

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:00:01 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 11/17/14, 10:39 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Yeah, if we keep that we'd have to define that somehow. It will become
>> weird of course if objects move into becoming ES library objects over
>> time. See ArrayBuffer and friends, promises in Gecko.
>
> Yep.  I bet if you Promise.prototype.then.call on a Promise from another
> global, what Gecko has right now doesn't follow the ES spec.

This is why it would be nice if we could get rid of it. Each of these
little differences feels like something that will bite us later. I
suspect it would mean a UA would have to start doing the whole
telemetry / web-compatible dance. Which sucks since it's a minor
detail, but long term it will help us if we are closer to the
JavaScript model (or are the same, ideally).

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/