Re: Determining what prototype should be used for an object

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:32:18 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 11/17/14, 7:58 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> I see what you're saying. Part of this is why I suggested that maybe
>> we should move to a world where the internal slots are more explicit.
>> That way a node would have an internal slot allocated to a NodeList
>> which cannot be null, and therefore you can derive it has to be
>> created along with the node.
>
> Yes, but creation along with the node doesn't really say anything about
> which prototype it gets...
>
> Though we could maybe have something where creation of a node first makes a
> particular Realm current and then does all the creation work, which then
> automatically uses the standard prototypes from that Realm.

Yeah something like that was the idea. We would of course have to
define what it means to create a NodeList and other objects and if IDL
is to start that creation process we would have to formalize the
parameters. I think this is all doable though obviously it also means
there will be quite some refactoring work. I'm happy to help out with
that though.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/