Re: Deprecating Future's .then()

Hi Sean, there's nothing undefined about this. It just doesn't do what you
might want.

In discussing AP2 with Tab, Anne, and Alex, I found we needed a new
terminological distinction, between being "accepted" and "fulfilled". This
is best understood in terms of when .then vs .flatMap call their first
callback:

    p.then(onFulfilled)
    p.flatMap(onAccepted)

The key thing about AP2 is that all assimilation and recursive flattening
need only happen when .then calls its onFulfilled callback. So the state of
being ready to call the onFulfilled callback is the state that should be
named "fulfilled". A promise-for-a-pending-promise is not yet fulfilled, as
doing a .then on it won't call the first callback until its inner promise
is fulfilled. So, ironically given the history, it makes sense to call the
one-level unconditional lift operator "accept" rather than "fulfill", and
to say that .flatMap triggers when a promise has been accepted.

With .then doing full recursive flattening and assimilation, nothing else
needs to. Promise.resolve need only do a brand check and a single
brand-based auto-lifting. .then, on the results of its callbacks, need only
do a brand check and auto-flatten the results. (In the same sense that
.flatMap flattens its results.)

So concretely, in terms of your example, if we interpret AP2 in this
conservative manner, then the promise already returned by the .then becomes
accepted with Data, but not yet fulfilled since Data has a .then method.
Call this returned promise dP.

dP.flatMap(d => console.log(d)) // will log your Data object
// the returned promise will be resolved to the result of console.log.

dP.then(d => console.log(d)) // will never log anything
// will never resolve the promise it returned

The reason why .then acts like this on your example is that, on seeing that
dP is resolved to a thenable, will invoke its .then method with resolver
and rejector functions, waiting for these to be called. Since Data's .then
doesn't call these, that .then doesn't make any further progress.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM