Re: Deprecating Future's .then()

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights@google.com> wrote:
>>> Me too. I find your points about why AP2 (recursive unwrapping of callback
>>> argument) is superior to AP3 (recursive unwrapping of callback result)
>>> persuasive.
>>
>> Interesting, how would that work?
>
> 1. Promises have both unconditional lift (Future.accept/fulfill) and
> conditional lift (Future.resolve).

Thinking about this more, I'm now unsure why both `fulfill` and
`resolve` are needed given the semantics of `.chain()` and `.then()`
described below.

In particular, if `.then()` chains recursively *before* calling the
callback, then there's no difference between:

    Future.resolve(x).then(v => ...)

and

    Future.fulfill(x).then(v => ...)

even when `x` is a promise.  The only way to observe this is with `.chain()`.

Thoughts?

Sam