RE: The Paradox of Partial Parametricity

Following Tab's comments on the a Promise monad, I prototyped a Future library based on DOM Future using TypeScript. Since TS has no concept of a union type, I'm using TS overloads to approximate the Ref<T> union type example. It has roughly the following API:

```ts
class FutureResolver<T> {
  accept(value: T): void;
  resolve(value: Future<T>): void;
  resolve(value: T): void;
  reject(value: any): void;
}

class Future<T> {
  constructor(init: (resolver: FutureResolver<T>) => void);

  // unconditional lift
  static accept<TResult>(value: TResult): Future<TResult>;

  // autolift
  static resolve<TResult>(value: TResult): Future<TResult>;
  static resolve<TResult>(value: Future<TResult>): Future<TResult>;

  static reject<TResult>(value: any): Future<TResult>;

  // assimilation of thenables, similar to `Q()`. Assimilation stops at the first `Future`
  static from<TResult>(value: any): Future<TResult>;

  // autolifting then.
  // for `p.map` like operation, `resolve` should return `Future.accept(u)`
  // for `p.flatMap` like operation, `resolve` can return u or `Future.resolve(u)`, but no error is thrown
  then<TResult>(resolve: (value: T) => Future<TResult>, reject: (value: any) => Future<TResult>): Future<TResult>;
  then<TResult>(resolve: (value: T) => TResult, reject: (value: any) => Future<TResult>): Future<TResult>;
  then<TResult>(resolve: (value: T) => Future<TResult>, reject: (value: any) => TResult): Future<TResult>;
  then<TResult>(resolve: (value: T) => TResult, reject: (value: any) => TResult): Future<TResult>;

  catch<TResult>(reject: (value: any) => Future<TResult>): Future<TResult>;
  catch<TResult>(reject: (value: any) => TResult): Future<TResult>;

  done(resolve: (value: T) => void, reject: (value: any) => void);
}
```

In the AsyncTable example you would write:

```ts
class AsyncTable<T, U> {
  private m = new Map<T, U>();

  set(keyP: Future<T>, val: U): void {
    keyP.done(key => { this.m.set(key, val); });
  }

  get(keyP: Future<T>): Future<U> {
    return keyP.then(key => Future.accept(this.m.get(key))); // accept causes an unconditional lift.
  }
}
```

In Mark's second example, using the union type, you might instead have:

```ts
class AsyncTable<T, U> {
  private m = new Map<T, Future<U>>();

  set(keyP: Future<T>, val: Future<U>): void;
  set(keyP: Future<T>, val: U): void;
  set(keyP: Future<T>, val: any): void {
    keyP.done(key => { this.m.set(key, Future.resolve(val)); }); // autolift `Ref<U>`-like union to `Future<U>`
  }

  get(keyP: Future<T>): Future<U> {
    return keyP.then(key => this.m.get(key)); // no need for unconditional lift, `then` will merge the already auto-lifted `Future<U>`
 }
}
```

And Mark's third example might be:

```ts
class AsyncTable<T, U> {
  private m = new Map<T, Future<U>>();

  // gah! TS needs union types...
  set(keyP: Future<T>, val: Future<U>): void;
  set(keyP: T, val: Future<U>): void;
  set(keyP: Future<T>, val: U): void;
  set(keyP: T, val: U): void;
  set(keyP: any, val: any): void {
    Future.resolve(keyP).done(key => { this.m.set(key, Future.resolve(val)); });  // autolift key and val
  }

  get(keyP: Future<T>): Future<U>;
  get(keyP: T): Future<U>;
  get(keyP: any): Future<U> {
    return Future.resolve(keyP).then(key => this.m.get(key)); // autolift key, val is already a `Future<U>`
  }
}
```

Ron