Re: Future feedback

On 5/7/13 9:27 PM, Sean Hogan wrote:
> a. Queueing a task - that is, asynchronously executing a function

setTimeout does this, no?  If we really feel that the minimum 4ms delay
it imposes is not OK, there have been proposals for a setImmediate,
though I'd like to see some indication that it won't be abused like
setTimeout has been.

> b. Isolating a task - that is, synchronously executing a function in
> such a way that errors are detected but not prevented from going to the
> console

This is also already possible, as far as I can tell, modulo a slight bug
in Chrome.  Consider this testcase:

<script>
   function isolate(f) {
     try {
       f();
     } catch (e) {
       setTimeout(function() { throw e; }, 0);
     }
   }
   function g() {
     nonexistent();
   }
   isolate(g);
</script>

The "nonexistent()" call is on line 10; the throw statement on line 6.
The question is what goes to the console.

In Firefox, I get: ReferenceError: nonexistent is not defined @
file:///whatever.html:10

In Chrome I get: Uncaught ReferenceError: nonexistent is not defined.
whatever.html:10 (though only if the console is open before I run the
testcase; if I open it after running the testcase, Chrome gets the line
number wrong and claims it was on line 6).

In Opera I get:  Uncaught exception: ReferenceError: Undefined variable:
nonexistent
Error thrown at line 6, column 43 in <anonymous function>() in
whatever.html:
     throw e;
Error initially occurred at line 10, column 4 in g() in whatever.html:
     nonexistent();

In Safari I get: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: nonexistent.
whatever.html:10

In IE9 I get:  SCRIPT5009: 'nonexistent' is undefined
whatever.html, line 10 character 5

If synchronous reporting to the console is desired, that should also be
possible, actually, like so:

   var reporter = document.createElement("div");
   function isolate(f) {
     try {
       f();
     } catch (e) {
       reporter.onclick = function() { throw e; };
       reporter.dispatchEvent(new Event("click"));
     }
   }

(with createEvent and whatnot as needed for older UAs).