Re: Future cancellation

On 5/1/13 at 5:43 PM, frantz@pwpconsult.com (Bill Frantz) wrote:

>On 5/1/13 at 1:37 PM, jackalmage@gmail.com (Tab Atkins Jr.) wrote:
>
>>Ah, I'm not proposing that we augment the base Future class with
>>cancellation properties.  I explicitly used the term "subtype" in the
>>quoted bit above.  *Some* of Ron's suggestions were to augment the
>>base Future class, but not all of them, and several other people
>>pushed back on that.
>
>I think that covers the issue.
>
>Cheers - Bill

Upon further reflection, I think the point about premature
standardization stands.

Also, a pure inheritance model -- which is implied by
subclassing -- may be the wrong model. If one wants to include
POLA in one's programming style, one will probably want to
separate the authority to access the resulting value from the
authority to abort the computation.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | gets() remains as a monument | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | to C's continuing support of | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | buffer overruns.             | Los Gatos,
CA 95032