Do futures represent a pipeline? (was Re: Future cancellation)

Thanks, the idea that .then() returns a new Promise is very very strange to
me. What gets stored into that promise?

It seems as if those callbacks do not match the traditional DOM style event
callback anymore, if their return value influences other operations.
They're more like the function you pass to map(), and it's expected that
the result of operation A goes in one end and something nebulous comes out
the other... but I don't know how that second asynchronous operation even
gets started. Is it assumed that the map()-style function returns a new
promise, and then the extra promise .then() created is linked to it
implicitly, ignoring the overhead? Based on my experience this implies a
lot of bad things (for example, needing a trip through the event loop for
every granular task) but I can see how it makes a lot of sense for the DOM
if this is indeed the model.

The monad model is a great way to discuss this, actually:
Future cancellation, as I understand it, is not a tri-state Maybe (Nothing
| a | Cancelled); it is a dual-state maybe (Nothing | a), with a separate
piece of state that represents the liveness of the future. In environments
with deterministic garbage collection (like Python), you can actually
represent cancellation via the liveness of a Future - I've used python
futures libraries with no explicit cancellation method, where instead you
cancelled a future by letting it get collected.

Obviously in a language like JS (and in C#, where I wrote my futures
library and task scheduler) you cannot rely on garbage collection or
liveness for cancellation, so the need for an explicit cancellation
primitive arises. (One could argue that relying on GC for cancellation is a
bad idea anyway, since it's easy to break).

Going to cc the lists on this since it seems like this was actually a
valuable thread of discussion, my bad being conservative. (I can see now
that Sam's PoV here is probably informed by nuances of existing specs like
Promises/A that I am unfamiliar with because I have not used them
extensively).

I think I see a lot of the historical confusion here as being rooted in the
fact that the terms 'promise' and 'future' seem poorly-suited for
describing a pipeline oriented primitive, if that's what these futures are.
Maybe all discussion threads on futures need a big hairy disclaimer that
tells people to read a description of what 'future' and 'promise' actually
mean in this context :)

-kg