Re: A Challenge Problem for Promise Designers

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
> getAPromise()
>   .then(function(x) {
>     return Promise.accept(Promise.accept(5));
>   }).then(function(y) {
>     alert(y);
>   });
>
> That is, you have to very explicitly double up on Promises.  It
> doesn't happen by accident.
>
> It's only this last case, which should be rare unless you're doing it
> on purpose, which we're all arguing about.  The recursive-flatten
> people want this case (and all higher-stacked cases, like "return
> Promise.accept(Promise.accept(Promise.accept(5)));") to all alert "5".
>
> This breaks some useful invariants, though.  It means that Promises
> are no longer monads, which prevents you from using monad libraries.
> It also means that you have to hack around the behavior in other cases
> - if you omit a callback from .then(), it's supposed to just "pass
> through" for that case, so the next .then() call to provide the
> callback gets the exact same value as it would if the callback were
> moved up.  This doesn't work with recursive-flattening, though - if
> you make a nested Promise explicitly, and then call .then(cb) on it,
> the callback will get a promise as an argument, but if you call
> .then().then(cb), the promise will have been flattened out.  You have
> to insert a special hack into the resolution mechanics to make this
> not happen.
>
> Since nested promises are hard to create unless you're doing it on
> purpose, can be useful, and produce more consistent semantics overall,
> we should be using non-recursive flattening. The only place where you
> want recursive flattening is when you're *assimilating an
> outside-world promise* from a foreign library, which should require an
> explicit action (so you don't end up "flattening" something like a
> Casper.js value, and getting nonsense out as a result).  We can just
> follow Promises/A+'s flattening semantics, but invoke them from some
> explicit function.  Best of all worlds.
>
> > It's been a few years but I recall an exchange we had where he took the
> > position that there shouldn't even be a method to test whether a value
> is a
> > promise -- IIRC he was arguing that any `value | Promise<value>`
> > functionality was unnecessary, and even hazardous. I was never clear on
> > exactly how this could be made to work, especially in interoperable
> > libraries, but as a language construct I suppose it's feasible. I'm
> curious
> > to hear where Dave stands now -- he eventually built support for
> thenables
> > into task.js (which I think was what sparked this exchange) but that
> could
> > have been out of convenience. Of course, with this approach I can't
> imagine
> > how promises could possibly be made nestable with one-step resolution
> (what
> > people seem to be calling "monadic" now?).

I'm not sure which piece "this" refers to, but in E it is possible to test
whether a value is an unresolved promise. Testing this is discouraged, but
is sometimes necessary for various meta-programming tasks, like
serialization. It is not possible to test whether a value is a fulfilled
promise, since a fulfilled promise really is indistinguishable from its
fulfillment value.

> but it has special language support
> for promises, and does the unwrapping by itself, automatically.
> That's fine, and it produces a non-monadic form of promises.  JS
> likely can't do that, though - it's stuck with promises as "real"
> things, distinct from the values they wrap, so it should make the best
> of it and make them monadic.
>
> (If you don't understand the term "monadic", look at my earlier post
> in this thread, where I gave a short primer.  If you're still having
> trouble, let me know privately, and I'd be glad to explain it in more
> detail.)
>
> ~TJ

  Cheers,
  --MarkM