Re: Futures

On 17/04/2013 17:56 , Mark S. Miller wrote:
> Hi Anne, promises were already in progress for ES7. It was the w3c that
> chose to fork the effort rather than participate and provide feedback.

Just to be crystal clear here, the W3C hasn't done anything at this
point. DOMFutures currently only exist in a WHATWG spec. Given W3C's
close and cosy relationship with WHATWG though, I certainly expect
groups to start using it pretty much immediately so I understand if you
might see that as a distinction without a difference.

Having said that, the only reason we're collectively having what might
amount to a form of turf war is because we're all tilling the same turf,
and despite having goals that are overwhelmingly the same we're doing so
from somewhat distant houses.

I don't think that Anne's comment stemmed from some form of
imperialistic view of W3C taking over everything (that's not quite like
him :), but rather simply intended to point out that it would be simpler
if we did all of this under a common roof. Indeed, we can make plans for
coordination as we just did, but coordination happens because there's a
disconnect. Removing the disconnect can be helpful too.

I have no idea what the politics of such a rapprochement would look
like, and I can certainly imagine a variegated spectrum of modalities
for it. I just want to point out that if there's interest, there are
people over here happy to help make it happen. At the end of the day we
just want a better platform with the minimum cost in bureaucracy.