Re: "var" declarations shadowing properties from Window.prototype

On Aug 11, 2012, at 12:21 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not that bad if you start from the DOM level 0, especially window.onload being the same binding as function onload() {}.
>>>

>> There seems to be a contradiction between what you describe above for primordial and what ES1-3 said:
>
> There was no contradiction in the old days. Writing
>
>  function onload() {}
>
> did not run a proto-setter to add an event listener. Rather, a load event fired by trying any function named by window.onload.
>
> At some point this stopped working. Not sure when, but it's how JS + DOM level 0 worked in Netscape 2 when they debuted, and I believe for a long while after.

I see, this makes perfect sense when onload is viewed simply as a passive property.  It is turning into an active side-effecting registration mechanism that conceptually clashed with function declarations.  I wonder why that was necessary. Could it be as something as simple as WebIDL (and its predecessors) lacking the concept of interfaces with dynamically extensible properties?

Allen