Re: Detecting the "type" of a DOM object

On 6/21/12 11:30 AM, David Bruant wrote:
> Hmm... This thread was started with the problem that a WebIDL-compliant
> does not allow to detect the "type" of an object cross-global.
> Firefox does have a way to do it which is de-facto backward-compatible
> and you're planning to break it to be WebIDL compliant.

Well, and because it simplifies the code a bit.  But yes, mostly because
it's impossible to be WebIDL-compliant for us at the moment without
breaking it.  And I don't mean just in terms of what WebIDL requires for
instanceof behavior; the requirement that the interface objects is a
non-host Function object is a problem for this approach too.

> My analysis is that the use case is legitimate, that Firefox (who was
> here before WebIDL) has a good answer to it and that WebIDL should be
> revised rather than Firefox.

Seems fine to me.  ;)

> How bad would it be to make an exception here for WebIDL to be
> implementable in ECMAScript terms?

I don't know.